23VAC parallel switches ?

Old 05-07-10, 12:14 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
23VAC parallel switches ?

Hi

I want to control my whole house ducted Dehumidifier with 2 separate Thermostats with built in dehumidistats each.

If stat 1 calls for dehumidifier then it will close switch and complete 23 vac to trigger dehumidifier.

If stat 2 calls for dehumidifier then it will close switch and complete 23 vac to trigger dehumidifier.

If BOTH stat 1+2 calls for dehumidifier will i be sending 23+23vac = 46 vac to the dehumidifier on terminal? or is it always 23 VAC i don't want to damage the unit.

Will my crude drawing below work ok?

Thanks Again

Old 05-07-10, 12:50 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Your drawing is fine and will work as you desire. What you have done is to effectively put both humidistat switches in parallel.

Old 05-07-10, 05:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The way the circuit works is, if either switch is closed, the 23v source has a current path. If both are closed, the power source has multiple paths. It will not generate double the voltage, it will just be able to flow through either thermostat. The switches don't generate power, that happens in the transformer in the unit itself. Multiple switches don't affect that potential voltage.

There is no electrical risk in this, it is a valid automated control schematic.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: