Removing intercom/radio-questions

Old 05-07-10, 12:52 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing intercom/radio-questions

My 1970 house has a Miami-Carey radio/intercom that no longer works. I am going to remove the radio/head unit from the kitchen wall. I pulled it out to look at it, expecting to find a 110v connection. Instead I saw pairs of very thin wires like a telephone or a door bell use. I assume there's a transformer somewhere but I don't see it in the basement and I'll probably never find it in the attic space if it's under the insulation.

Can I just cut the wires and tape the ends without being in violation of any electrical codes or creating a fire hazard?

Old 05-07-10, 01:14 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Can you post some pictures? Do you have a voltage meter?

Old 05-07-10, 01:31 PM
The best solution is to remove the wire completely. I would only abandon it in the wall as a last resort, and only then if I was absolutely certain it was cut as close as possible to the entry point of the room where your panel is, so that it may never be reconnected again.

Old 05-07-10, 02:13 PM
L
Originally Posted by ray2047
Can you post some pictures? Do you have a voltage meter?
Yes I have a volt meter. I was planning to get some readings. The connections between the radio and the power wires are taped (I assume soldered but didn't remove the tape yet).

Old 05-07-10, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by lmacmil
Yes I have a volt meter. I was planning to get some readings. The connections between the radio and the power wires are taped (I assume soldered but didn't remove the tape yet).
If the power source is 12v-24v and my guess is it is then you have a transformer somewhere. By killing 15a and 20a 120v breakers one at a time you should be able to determine which circuit the transformer is on. When you find the magic breaker see what else is dead. That should give you an idea where to look.

Old 05-08-10, 06:26 AM
L
Originally Posted by ray2047
If the power source is 12v-24v and my guess is it is then you have a transformer somewhere.
Turns out the transformer is right on the service panel. I thought that was for something else. So the correct approach would be to remove the connections at the transformer and remove the wires also, or at least clip them so they can't be reconnected, right?

Old 05-08-10, 08:19 AM
So the correct approach would be to remove the connections at the transformer and remove the wires also, or at least clip them so they can't be reconnected, right?
Yes, if you do not want to reuse this as a door chime. Disconnect the transformer at source and remove. On the transformer end cut the secondary (low voltage) wires at the wall and push into the wall and at the other end cut the wires as short as possible.

Of course if you don't have a door chime and want one the wiring and maybe the transformer could be re-purposed for a door chime.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: