Tear Up the Ceiling or Use Conduit

Old 05-09-10, 08:24 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tear Up the Ceiling or Use Conduit

I have a half finished basement. I am lucky enough to have my electrical box in the finished part. I need to run a new circuit or two (I may have an electrician actually connect the wiring, but I will run it myself). This wire needs to run from the finished part to the finished part.

I am thinking about running conduit across the top of the wall into the unfinished part of the basement and up into the joists (bare nm at that point) like the rest of the wiring. This will allow me to avoid tearing up the finished ceiling.

My questions are...
- Does anybody see a reason not to do this?
- Do I have to use metal conduit?
- I assume I should only run one wire in one conduit. So, if I have two wires - two circuits - I will have two tubes.

Thanks...

Old 05-09-10, 10:02 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
I assume I should only run one wire in one conduit. So, if I have two wires
You are confusing wire and cable. A wire is a single conductor. A circuit consists of two or more wires. A cable is two or more wires in a metallic sheath (e.g. BX) or non-metallic sheath (e.g. Romex). Cable is not run in conduit normally except for short sections of conduit for protection. On a conduit run such as you mention you would use individual wires. You can have multiple circuits in a single conduit so long as wire insulation voltage ratings for all wires exceed highest voltage present.

Last edited by ray2047; 05-09-10 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-10-10, 04:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 148 Votes on 131 Posts
It might be possible to fish your cables behind the walls in the finished part. If you were willing to patch some drywall you could also drill the studs and pull the cables like in new work.

Old 05-10-10, 06:28 AM
D
Ray... Thanks. I didn't realize that you would run wires (not cable) through conduit. So, I would run the conduit to a J-box and then I could run NM out of that once I get to the unfinished part. This gives me ideas.

pcboss... I thought of that, but the walls are attached to 1 inch furring strips. If the studs were 2x4s, it would be an option. I am definitely not afraid of drywall. But the ceiling is a different story for a few reasons.

Thanks to both of you. This was helpful.

Old 05-10-10, 06:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 595 Votes on 511 Posts
While conduit would be cheaper you may want to consider Wiremold. If run neatly, it can blend well if painted.
Of course patching drywall would be the cheapest if do the repair your self and would look the best.

Old 05-10-10, 07:20 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
DIY - Good luck finding an electrician that will make the SEP connection for circuits run by a homeowner. Most electricians that I know will pass on that.

Old 05-10-10, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell View Post
DIY - Good luck finding an electrician that will make the SEP connection for circuits run by a homeowner. Most electricians that I know will pass on that.
He's got a point, I wouldn't do that either. I don't even like connecting something I didn't do when on a job that I know the guy who did it. Sometimes particularly if I know the guy who did it.

Old 05-10-10, 10:21 AM
D
Wow - I didn't realize that.

I had one contractor in the house who actually told me they would rather see me run the lines. I guess he probably wasn't worth much.

Is a bad idea to do it all myself?

Last edited by DIYinPitt; 05-10-10 at 10:27 AM. Reason: added a question
Old 05-10-10, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by DIYinPitt View Post
Wow - I didn't realize that.

I had one contractor in the house who actually told me they would rather see me run the lines. I guess he probably wasn't worth much.

I wouldn't if I didn't feel comfortable with my knowledge level. It doesn't sound like you are, so I would recommend letting a professional handle the work. It's your own judgment call, to be honest.

Old 05-10-10, 10:41 AM
D
I actually do feel comfortable. I just always have people telling me to never touch the box.

Anyway... thanks for the advice.

Old 05-10-10, 11:00 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYinPitt View Post

I wouldn't mind the homeowner doing some work as long as it was stuff I could see to make sure it was done right. Most anybody can drill studs, nail boxes and pull romex. I just want to see it to make sure it's fastened well and not damaged though.

I wouldn't really want to be involved with something that was already concealed. Part of it is a legal issue -- who pulled the permit? Also no work is supposed to begin until the permit is issued so if I pulled it just for the hookup after you've already installed the cables then you've technically done the job unpermitted. It could be a sticky situation if the inspector wanted to find something to be a jerk about.

Originally Posted by RHefferan View Post
Sometimes particularly if I know the guy who did it.
Especially if I know the guy who did it!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: