Dimmer

Old 05-10-10, 11:34 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dimmer

Hello All !
I'm trying to install a dimmer switch in a dual wall plate that controls the light and ceiling fan. When I took it apart the switch for the fan has a single black wire that is connected to the switch for the light, this wire is not on any of the screws it's just insterted into a slot on the back of the light switch. I removed this and hooked up up the dimmer which has 2 black/1 green. Dimmer does not work ?? Is that single black wire needed > If so can some explain what it's for

THX Beer 4U2

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-10, 01:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 72 Posts
That wire could have been supplying power to the old switch or it could be the switched hot going to the light.

Old 05-10-10, 01:51 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The back slot and adjacent screw are electrically connected. Some installers use that instead of a wire nut. In other words the two wires were connected together.

Old 05-19-10, 11:08 AM
J
Unhappy

ok..so how should I connect this dimmer:

Current wallplate:
1. 1 switch for fan

2. 1 swith for light

3. Switch for light has:
A. Red
B. Black
C. Ground
D. Black wire inside quick connect on light switch going to screw on Switch for FAN

4. New Dimmer:
A. 2 Black wires
B. 1 Green

Old 05-19-10, 07:55 PM
ok

light switch # 1..
1st of all KILL POWER AT BREAKER!!

Motor
Next., motor switch. The black is the incoming hot make it up to black on the switch. The red wire is your switch leg for the motor.

dimmer
Same thing. Pick a wire they are essentially both "hots" anyway. The hot that is being shared between the 2 switches is your incoming hot from panel. Make that up to one of the black leads from/to switch. The other black wire ties to the lights which is going to be your switch leg.

Turn breaker back on and enjoy.

P.S> Greens (grounds) to green or bare copper all tie together.

Old 05-20-10, 11:20 AM
J
This is what I'm going to do:

1. Cut power
2. remove switch for light from the wall
3. unscrew the 3 wires on light switch
4. remove the quick connect wire coming from fan switch
----

5. connect black wire coming from fan switch that was plugged in via quick connect on light switch to one of the black wires from dimmer

6. connect remaining black wire to other black wire on dimmer

7. cap red wire with wire screw or tape (not used RIGHT ?)

8. connect ground wire
9 power up
10. should be working

Correct ?

Old 05-20-10, 07:36 PM
I told you how to do it below..

Hello All !
I'm trying to install a dimmer switch in a dual wall plate that controls the light and ceiling fan. When I took it apart the switch for the fan has a single black wire that is connected to the switch for the light, this wire is not on any of the screws it's just insterted into a slot on the back of the light switch. I removed this and hooked up up the dimmer which has 2 black/1 green. Dimmer does not work ?? Is that single black wire needed > If so can some explain what it's for
Yes you need this wire. It is the HOT from the panel (power).. One switch is feeding the other is all that is going on.. They are sharing the hot (power).

7. cap red wire with wire screw or tape (not used RIGHT ?)
NO. Unless its a 3way which it is not. The red is your switch leg which to send power to the motor.. The black (on that same switch) is the Hot/power from the panel. That is the same wire "quick connect" that will power the dimmer also. They are sharing the hot. The other lead from the dimmer is the light switch leg.. It sends the power to the light.