Hot Tub. Ran out of breakers

Old 05-11-10, 07:06 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot Tub. Ran out of breakers

Hi. I have very little knowledge of electricity.
I am having a hot tub installed. My breaker box is full so my electrician wants to install a new breaker box to include the hot tub. My question is: Is this necessary or is there another way to hook up the hot tub? Thanks

Old 05-11-10, 07:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by opriment View Post
Hi. I have very little knowledge of electricity.
I am having a hot tub installed. My breaker box is full so my electrician wants to install a new breaker box to include the hot tub. My question is: Is this necessary or is there another way to hook up the hot tub? Thanks
If the electrician says that a subpanel is an option, your service must have enough capacity to run the hot tub. We're going to run with that assumption.

It's possible that you could utilize some tandem breakers to make space in your panel, depending on how many circuit you currently have and what type of breakers you currently have. I'd be hesitant to add a sub panel unless you plan on adding some other circuits in the future. A sub panel for one hot tub is probably overkill, but then again it completely depends on what you have in your current panel.

Old 05-11-10, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Just to clarify...does he want to install a new main panel with more slots...or a subpanel?

I can't tell you the correct answer...but the Pro's will probably need the info. I think either way is acceptable..but a subpanel would probably be much cheaper.

Old 05-11-10, 08:29 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 43 Posts
We could give you a better answer if you gave us the make and model of your panel and the number of breakers currently installed. A picture would be okay too.

Installation of a second panel (subpanel) or replacement of the main panel with a larger one (service change/upgrade) are both reasonable solutions when installing a hot tub. If your main panel can provide enough power for the tub, but simply does not have the space for more breakers, then a subpanel would be appropriate. If the main panel cannot provide enough additional power to run the hot tub, then it is appropriate to replace the main panel with a larger one (usually the meter and other stuff too).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: