Wiring new bathroom...GFCI locations?

Old 05-11-10, 09:21 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring new bathroom...GFCI locations?

I'm wiring a new bathroom and have 12 gauge on a 20-amp circuit running in.

It initially hits an outlet in the closet, then goes to the outlet next to the sink, then runs up to the vanity light, then on to the other floor outlets.

My question is, do I need a GFCI for the closet outlet, or can I use a regular outlet here and then use the GFCI by the sink? I'm guessing I can, but wanted to be sure.

THANKS!!

Old 05-11-10, 10:50 AM
By code, the circuit for the bathroom receptacles can only be shared with other bathroom receptacles, or the lights in the bathroom if there is a single bathroom. It sounds like your using a general purpose circuit for your bathroom outlet, which isn't legal. The bathroom requires it's own circuit.

Old 05-11-10, 11:05 AM
F
I am using a single, 20-amp circuit for the bathroom. The "closet" is actually just a little alcove in the bathroom that we're going to put shelves in, no door or anything, so I think that can be on the same run, yes? I'm just not sure if I need to put a GFCI there or not.

When I did out other bathroom, I started the run at the sink outlet, so that the first outlet was a GFCI.

Thanks!

Old 05-11-10, 11:17 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 43 Posts
A small alcove in the bathroom is okay on the bathroom circuit. I would say that yes it does need to be GFCI protected. A single receptacle as the first device on the circuit would be acceptable, as would a GFCI breaker.

Old 05-11-10, 11:30 AM
F
Great! Thanks!

So a GFCI on the first outlet, then one by the sink, now, I've got another outlet on the floor, by the door, about 3' from the sink. No GFCI needed for that one, correct?

Thanks again!

Old 05-11-10, 12:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 148 Votes on 131 Posts
All receptacles in bathrooms require GFI protection per 210.8 NEC.

Old 05-11-10, 06:30 PM
Received 164 Votes on 147 Posts
I've got another outlet on the floor
What do you mean by on the floor? Did you cut a box into the floor for a floor outlet? I sincerely hope you didn't.

Old 05-12-10, 11:19 AM
F
No, sorry for the confusion. It's not a "floor" outlet, it's just a standard outlet 16" from the floor. I just wanted to make sure that I don't need a GFCI on that outlet as well since the outlet before it will be a GFCI, right?

Thanks!!

Old 05-12-10, 11:33 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 43 Posts
All bathroom receptacles need GFCI protection. That means you can: put a GFCI receptacle at each location using only the LINE terminals; put a GFCI receptacle at the first location with LINE and LOAD terminals wired to provide downstream protection; or, put a GFCI breaker on this circuit.

Old 05-13-10, 07:39 AM
F
Excellent!

Thanks!!

Hopefully, this will be the biggest issue with this remodel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: