Fan okay without a wall switch?

Old 05-11-10, 10:34 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Fan okay without a wall switch?

Here's something I haven't actually run across before. A friend of mine wants to put in a ceiling fan in a porch being built. It will be inspected. For ease of installation, he wants to just run the hot to the fan and use the pull-chains as the only switches (possibly also getting a fan with a remote control). Is this generally okay, or do AHJs usually want to see a wall switch?

Old 05-11-10, 10:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would strongly recommend, even if he doesn't want to put a switch on the wall, that he rough a switch box and wire in and blank it off. Someday, he'll change his mind or the next person will change their mind. Put in the ability to have a switch, at least, while the walls are open.

It may add a little time and material now, but reworking it is much harder later.

Old 05-11-10, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
But, to directly answer the question, no it's not required unless the fan is the only lighting outlet in the room. If it is the only lighting outlet, it requires a wall mounted switch. If it is not, there is no requirment I know of that mandates remote switching of a ceiling fan, but then again I've never tried to avoid switching a ceiling fan so I'm not 100% sure without looking.

Old 05-11-10, 11:14 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 43 Posts
Hi Mac, it's been a while since you've been around!

I don't think the switch is absolutely required.

Old 05-11-10, 01:13 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks for the welcome back.

While I agree a switch would be convenient, it isn't exactly an easy rough-in. This is for a porch, and the switch would have to fished into the existing exterior wall (switch on inside), a real PITB to be in a useful location at all. And there is a fireblock crossstud above where the switch should be, too. I was hoping the consensus would be what it looks like it is!

Now, the problem is that he DOES want to switch the lights that are going on the end of the new porch. I might be helping him run this switch leg anyway!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: