Should I ground my storage container?

Old 05-11-10, 06:14 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Should I ground my storage container?

Dumb question, I know. And sorry if its been posted before. I bought a 40 ft. shipping container of steel construction (this is the type of container that they put on ships). I put it on wood blocks and its located within four feet of my electrical service entrance. I installed a few fluoresent lights inside the container and I'm mounting my 80gallon air compressor (220 volt Craftsman) also inside the container. I started thinking that since there are electrical appliances in there and since it has steel walls, perhaps the container should be grounded. Question: should I sink a ground rod and attach a copper wire to the steel portions of the container? The ground rod for the service entrance is so close that I could attach it to that rod (but I'm not sure if that's a bad idea). Thanks for any input. J. Stewart

Old 05-11-10, 06:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 148 Votes on 131 Posts
How are you feeding power into the container? Once you get more than one circuit you are going to need a panel inside,

Old 05-11-10, 07:37 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Yes, it should be grounded and yes, it should be grounded to the same rod (and other electrode, if present) as the incoming electrical service.

Old 05-12-10, 02:58 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I ran one 220 line from my main panel underground through 3/4 inch gray PVC using the gray colored romex. That circuit is for the air compressor and it is serviced by two 50Amp breakers.

Then I ran a SEPARATE length of 3/4 inch gray pvc (underground) from the main panel into the container for the fluorescent lights. Again I used the gray colored romex.

The container is only about 4-5 feet away from the service entrance, so I could run a heavy copper wire from the container over to that ground rod. But I do have an extra ground rod that I never used, so I could drive a separate one, right next to the container, if that is the prudent way to go.

This container is located right next to my barn (which has the 200 amp service entrance on its outside wall). The 200amp service entrance is fed from the pole on the nearest street.

Old 05-12-10, 07:51 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
I ran one 220 line from my main panel underground through 3/4 inch gray PVC using the gray colored romex. That circuit is for the air compressor and it is serviced by two 50Amp breakers.

Then I ran a SEPARATE length of 3/4 inch gray pvc (underground) from the main panel into the container for the fluorescent lights. Again I used the gray colored romex.
This is a code violation. You can not have two circuits to a detached structure. You will need to remove the existing circuits and install a single circuit to a subpanel in the storage container. You may be able to squeak by with a 60a supply to the storage container depending on the welder requirements.

Also note you do not run cable in conduit except for short sections of conduit for protection. You will need 3 THWN #6 minimum wires and one #10 green.to the storage container for a 60a supply. You can use one of the 3/4" conduits for this.

Old 05-12-10, 05:51 PM
F
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joe stewart View Post

The container is only about 4-5 feet away from the service entrance, so I could run a heavy copper wire from the container over to that ground rod. But I do have an extra ground rod that I never used, so I could drive a separate one, right next to the container, if that is the prudent way to go.

This container is located right next to my barn (which has the 200 amp service entrance on its outside wall). The 200amp service entrance is fed from the pole on the nearest street.

I just want to stated clear as Ray mention that is a code volations you only can allowed one MWBC { multiwire branch circuit } to the detached sturcture { there is a extempt for it but it is not used for your situation }

The safety issue is the number of circuits plus disconnect reqirement.

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: