Interruptible AC Meter Wiring in MI

Old 05-12-10, 06:56 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Interruptible AC Meter Wiring in MI

I am looking to add a seperate meter enclosure (socket) and associated wiring for Interruptible AC Rate from DTE. Anyone have a materials list and instructions for do-it-yourself project?

Will the power company provide the meter enclosure upon request?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-10, 07:53 PM
Received 84 Votes on 74 Posts
It doesn't sound like a DIY project. Are permits required? Can a homeowner pull his own permit there? The power company most likely has a manual detailing all of their requirements and approved materials.

Old 05-13-10, 11:17 AM
M
Power company will inspect the work, so it seems like a reasonable DIY project -- just haven't done it myself before. Have DTE's wiring guide, but was looking for an additional reference:

http://www.dteenergy.com/pdfs/wiring...stallation.pdf

Old 05-14-10, 08:58 AM
R
I did this last year at my home in Bloomfield Hills. What is it you are wanting to know ? If you go to home depot they have a 100 amp meter socket that you install right next to the main meter. You run your service entrance cable from the ac meter to the condenser shutoff or to a seperate shutoff/breaker next to your main panel.

The part that actually "interrupts" the air conditioner is just a radio receiver that breaks the low voltage thermostat circuit, causing the air conditioner to shut off.

What I did- Ripped out my main panel in my garage, Installed the ac meter then installed a new main panel and a smaller "AC panel" which has a breaker for my condenser and a breaker for the air handler.

Are you looking for pictures, parts lists ?

Old 05-16-10, 05:45 AM
M
Yes - some photos & parts list would be excellent - as well as comments about wire size for the new meter socket. Presume it's carried at the Depot? or did you need to visit an electrical supply place?

I appreciate the help. Thanks!