Florescent lights

Old 05-13-10, 10:43 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Florescent lights

I just wired in four florescent light fixtures which contain two eight foot tubes each. Also on the same line is two incondescent light fixtures containing 75 watt. bulbs. (15 amp breaker). When I turn the switch on sometimes only one fixture may light up. other times two, three or all may light. Sometimes by flipping the switch one or more times may cause all of them to light at one time. (not always the same ones). If one or more come on I can leave the switch "on" and the fixtures that did not come on at first will come on after waiting a short time. The two incondescent lights will always light up. The fixtures have less that 100 hours on them. Any ideas what is causing the delay in lighting?

The power comes from the panel to the switch (pos. interupted) to the first incondescent to the seconed incondescent to the first florescent fixture right down the line to the forth florescent fixture.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-10, 10:52 AM
Possiblities include,

Older ballasts - some old ballasts use magnetic technology which can take a bit of time to fire up.

Improper voltage - you may have a higher voltage ballast than your wiring system. Incorrectly matching voltage rating of the ballast and electric system is probably the most common mistake.

Improper burn in (not likely, but possible)- fluorescent lights have a burn in time. When you install new lights, you should leave them run for at least 24 hours the first time you use them. This greatly improves the life and function of the lamps.

Improper wiring - you may have erroneously put something in series, which dropped the voltage across the lights, causing ballast malfunction.

Old 05-13-10, 10:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 83 Votes on 71 Posts
You might want to check to see if the fluorescents are properly grounded.

Old 05-13-10, 12:12 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
(pos. interupted)
Positive is not applicable to AC wiring. Do you mean the ungrounded conductor (AKA hot). I point this out because it seems to indicate an unfamiliarity with AC wiring which means that other things you think or correct might not be and that is causing the problem. Can you tell us in detail how you wired it?

Old 05-13-10, 04:12 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
mnsiu's post can be interpreted 2 ways. We cannot presume the way he worded it that the problem is isolated to the fluorescents. Read the post again. You will see what I mean.

Old 05-13-10, 05:49 PM
Received 83 Votes on 73 Posts
I'd try new lamps if you are sure you wired everything correctly.

Old 05-13-10, 06:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 83 Votes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
mnsiu's post can be interpreted 2 ways. We cannot presume the way he worded it that the problem is isolated to the fluorescents. Read the post again. You will see what I mean.
Originally Posted by mnsiu View Post
I just wired in four florescent light fixtures which contain two eight foot tubes each. Also on the same line is two incondescent light fixtures containing 75 watt. bulbs. (15 amp breaker). When I turn the switch on sometimes only one fixture may light up. other times two, three or all may light. Sometimes by flipping the switch one or more times may cause all of them to light at one time. (not always the same ones). If one or more come on I can leave the switch "on" and the fixtures that did not come on at first will come on after waiting a short time. The two incondescent lights will always light up. The fixtures have less that 100 hours on them. Any ideas what is causing the delay in lighting?

The power comes from the panel to the switch (pos. interupted) to the first incondescent to the seconed incondescent to the first florescent fixture right down the line to the forth florescent fixture.
Seems like the problem is limited to the fluorescents.

Old 05-13-10, 07:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 178 Posts
I just wired in four florescent light fixtures which contain two eight foot tubes each.
From your description it sounds like you have T12 fixtures (lamps are about 1 1/2" dia) T12 do have a delay start up although it should be only a few seconds. One other thing to point out is T12 fixtures many times have a minimum start temperature of 50F. This might also causing your delay is starting.

Old 05-14-10, 01:23 AM
F
The other thing I do not know where the OP is from and if have high humity day it will case the flourscent luminarie bulbs fail to come on I have see that many time so turn off the power first then wipe the bulbs clean with clean towel or rag and that useally do the trick.

If fail to do that then you have to check the connecton on the tombstone I have see the connection can go bad from time to time.

Merci,Marc

Old 05-14-10, 05:40 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
For PCboss:

Originally Posted by mnsiu View Post
I just wired in four florescent light fixtures which contain two eight foot tubes each. Also on the same line is two incondescent light fixtures containing 75 watt. bulbs. (15 amp breaker). When I turn the switch on sometimes only one fixture may light up.(from ecman: Why wouldn't the two incandescents at least always light up, if it is isolated to the downsteam fluorescent problems?) other times two, three or all may light. Sometimes by flipping the switch one or more times may cause all of them to light at one time. (not always the same ones). If one or more come on I can leave the switch "on" and the fixtures that did not come on at first will come on after waiting a short time. The two incondescent lights will always light up (from ecman: OP did not make it clear if the incandescent lights always come on in the beginning?, or if he means that they always end up coming on, when the switch is left on ON). ...........