New Main Panel Placement

Old 05-13-10, 05:18 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Main Panel Placement

I am doing a full remodel, and upgrading the elec service to 200 Amp. I am changing the location of the panel, and want to install it in an inside wall, between the studs, surrounded by the drywall, about 8-9 feet from the meter. I will have the 30x36 clearance and meet the height requirements, but I have been unable to find anything on installing the main panel between the studs of an inside wall. Can I install this within the wall, or must it be on the outside the drywall? Am I missing anything else? I will have an electrician do all the wiring from the panel to the outside service.

Thanks, Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-10, 05:36 PM
Received 84 Votes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by sloman2001 View Post
I am doing a full remodel, and upgrading the elec service to 200 Amp. I am changing the location of the panel, and want to install it in an inside wall, between the studs, surrounded by the drywall, about 8-9 feet from the meter. I will have the 30x36 clearance and meet the height requirements, but I have been unable to find anything on installing the main panel between the studs of an inside wall. Can I install this within the wall, or must it be on the outside the drywall? Am I missing anything else? I will have an electrician do all the wiring from the panel to the outside service.

Thanks, Tom
Sure, you can install it on an inside wall, but you'll also now have to install a disconnect, either fusible or with a circuit breaker.

Old 05-13-10, 06:51 PM
E
Originally Posted by CasualJoe View Post
Sure, you can install it on an inside wall, but you'll also now have to install a disconnect, either fusible or with a circuit breaker.
also the new panel becomes a sub panel. and must be wired accordingly. ground rods and water ground to the disco outside, grounds and neutrals seperated at sub panel. 4 wire feeder from disco to sub panel

also a 200 amp panel may or may not fit in a standard stud spacing.

Old 05-13-10, 07:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 72 Posts
There should be no issue fitting a 200 amp panel in standard 16" OC stud bays. The panels are 14 1/2" wide.

Old 05-13-10, 07:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 203 Votes on 180 Posts
As pointed out the main service wires must be terminated to the main disconnect "at the closest point of entry". This is, in almost all cases, less than 5' inside the home. You can do what you describe but you will have to install a disconnect on the outside of your home. This is done quite often and in many cases is not a big deal, it is just an added expense.

Old 05-14-10, 05:38 AM
E
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
There should be no issue fitting a 200 amp panel in standard 16" OC stud bays. The panels are 14 1/2" wide.
i couldnt remember if the 200's were wider. thanks for the clarification

Old 05-14-10, 05:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by ElectricJoeNJ View Post
i couldnt remember if the 200's were wider. thanks for the clarification
NP, sharing knowledge, without attitude, is one of the traits of this board. Thanks for contributing.