Temporary Power pole

Old 05-17-10, 04:55 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Temporary Power pole

Hello All,
I am finally building my retirement home and need to have a temporary power pole set on the property for construction needs. I have contacted the emc power company to set up the service and meter box.

Can some one explain to me what I need and how it should be wired. I assume an outdoor box with 2-4 120V receptacles and I need a circuit for temporary power to me new well. I've looked on line for "power panel", "outdoor electrical power panel" etc and can't find a box with 120's and circuits for breakers. Is this something you have to build or am I looking for the wrong thing. ORRR can you tell by the questions I have asked that I need to get an electrician on site ASAP.
Thanks in advance, Barry Rooks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-10, 05:17 PM
Received 83 Votes on 73 Posts
The easiest way is to have your electrician build a temporary construction service pole. They are commonly built from a 16' treated 4x4 with 2x4 bracing. What you probably need is a 100 amp NEMA3R (raintight) panel with 6 to 12 circuit capacity. Use single pole breakers to feed 2 or 3 GFI receptacles in weatherproof boxes with inuse covers on them, attached to either the sides of the panel or the pole beneath the panel. Above the panel could be a 100 amp single phase meter socket. Many temporary services are built with rag cable (#2 aluminum service entrance cable) up the temporary pole to a weatherhead with an insulator on top of the pole. You'll also need a ground rod and #6 bare copper ground wire to the neutral bar in the panel. Your electrician will know what is acceptable to both the AHJ and the power company. Requirements vary by area.

Old 05-17-10, 05:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Are they bringing in the temporary power from underground or overhead? Exactly what part of the USA are you located in. May help.

Old 05-17-10, 05:28 PM
M
temp power pole

usually temp power pole are come with a small meter panel set up ( i assume you are renting one ), with 20amp twist lock receptacles at the base of the panel ( usually integrated and maybe one 30 or 50 amp 220v volt twist lock, GFCI protected, the company setting the power pole will set the ground, run the triplex and heat up the meter jaws and put on a cover for the utility to remove.

the panel is then inspected by the local inspector and then the meter set by the utility. at least that's how it's done out here in southern california

Old 05-17-10, 05:46 PM
Received 83 Votes on 73 Posts
the panel is then inspected by the local inspector and then the meter set by the utility. at least that's how it's done out here in southern california
Yes, that's what I said, requirements can vary by area. I have also seen some built from a combination meter socket/panel.

Old 05-17-10, 06:07 PM
R
Hello Barry,

Here is a 2002 DIY thread on this topic http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...nel-setup.html; some of the pointers are timeless.

Because of how old it is, many of the links are broken. Here are two helpful ones that were recreated.

Suggested Wiring Procedures for an Overhead Temporary Service Pole (NEC 2002):
Suggested Wiring Procedures for an Overhead Temporary Service Pole (NEC 2002) - Self Help and More

Suggested Wiring Procedures of an Underground Temporary Service Pole (NEC 2002):
Suggested Wiring Procedures of an Underground Temporary Service Pole (NEC 2002) - Self Help and More

Some other info; search breaker boxes for more links.

Find a variety of Cutler-Hammer Panel Boxes at Aubuchon Hardware

Mounting And Wiring A New Sub-Panel - Old House Electrical Update

Contact the service planner at your local utility to verify compliance w/ NEC 2002 standards meet their requirements. They may also have guidelines posted on their website as a search pulled up some municipal utilities.

If you know any inside electricians, you might call them to see if they have used electrical equipment taken down from prior jobs. Some people donít reuse their equipment inside their home. This may save you time and be cheaper, especially if youíre not planning L/T use elsewhere.

Old 05-18-10, 09:03 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
It would probably help to get a local electrician at least to go over the requirements for your local power company. They all have a little different requirement and you wouldn't want to waste your time or money getting the wrong stuff. If you want to do the work yourself you might be able to work out an agreement with the electrician.

Another avenue would be to look around your power company's website to see if you can find their specification document for services. If you call them they might be able to point you in the right direction. A poco engineer will have to come out to the site anyway to verify the position of the new service for the house.