BR load center wiring?

Old 05-18-10, 01:15 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
BR load center wiring?

Why am I all of a sudden doubting myself. I am embarrassed to even ask these questions but......

I am putting in a new Cutler Hammer BR3040b200v Load Center and now I am questioning where to place the ground and neutral wires.

It has two bus bars, one on each side. Is one for the neutral and one for ground or can I mixed them (each under it's own screw) or are they both for neutral and I need to buy a ground bar kit?

I had everything all mapped out and now all of a sudden I am questioning it and just need the reassurance before finishing up.

Also, while I'm at it....

The "neutral wire" from the utility goes on the far left bus and the ground wire from the plumbing goes on the far right bus correct? I also have driven two ground rods in outside and will wire those to the Ground bar as well.

Thanks,

Scott

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-10, 01:42 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
The feeder neutral lands on the large lug bottom left, the GEC lands on the large lug mid-right (where the bonding jumper attaches). The GECs can actually go to any lugs on the right bar as they accept up to #4 and your GECs should be no larger than that.

If this is the "main" panel (first panel after the meter), then you should drive the green bonding screw (mid-left) and adjacent lug tight which makes the two outside bars electrically connected to each other via the jumper and to the box. It does not matter which bar the grounds and neutral land on in this case. You may separate them for aesthetics or future planning if you wish.

If this is a subpanel, fed with four wires, the bonding screw and jumper are removed. Neutrals go left, grounds go right.

Old 05-18-10, 06:38 PM
Received 85 Votes on 75 Posts
What's the paper towel and blue masking tape at the bottom for?

Old 05-18-10, 07:36 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ben, Thanks as usual!!!!!!!

Casualjoe, I was wondering if anyone would mention that... The paper towel and tape are covering the main breaker so while I am cutting and stripping the wire's I don't accidentally get a small piece down into the actual breaker. Overly paranoid, maybe

Scott