Ceiling Fan Light not working

Old 05-18-10, 08:29 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan Light not working

I bought a Hunter 5 min. ceiling fan with light. My house was built in 1941 only has a black and orange wire.

My fan has a green wire which connects to another green wire in the fan. Than it has a white wire, a black wire and blue with white stripe wire. What connects to what?

There is only one light switch. It is 110volts. The fan has two chains one for the light and one for the fan. The way I have it wire now. The light just barely flickers on and both chains seem to control both the light and the fan.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-10, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by paul4414 View Post
I bought a Hunter 5 min. ceiling fan with light. My house was built in 1941 only has a black and orange wire.

My fan has a green wire which connects to another green wire in the fan. Than it has a white wire, a black wire and blue with white stripe wire. What connects to what?

There is only one light switch. It is 110volts. The fan has two chains one for the light and one for the fan. The way I have it wire now. The light just barely flickers on and both chains seem to control both the light and the fan.
Should be blue and black to black and white to orange. green to the box...

Old 05-18-10, 09:21 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Was there a light there before? Did it work? How was it wired? Orange is an extremly odd color to be paired with black. Are you sure of the colors?

Safety note: Do you have a fan rated box?

P.S. It is unlikely you have 110V. 110v hasn't been supplied to residences since the early 20th century.

Old 05-18-10, 09:41 PM
P
There was a light there and it was working. The wiring was just the two metal wires wrapped around one screw each attached to the light socket.

As for the orange color I am not totally sure, it is very faded and hard to make out.

I am not sure if I have a fan rated box.

Old 05-19-10, 04:22 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you taken it down yet to look at the wires? The last one I had to repair with the light no longer working (I believe a Hunter), the fan must have corkscrewed itself around in circles at some point in time, and the light wire resembled spaghetti wound up around a fork(for real!), and it ripped right out of the wire nut. The installer never engaged that metal pin into the slot in the socket, to keep it from spinning in circles.

Generally ceiling fans have 2 wires coming out the very top of it(seperate from the neutral and ground!) that can be twisted together and wired to the incoming hot wire. Either it is done that way, if you (plan to)operate the light/fan from one switch -or- you can leave those 2 wires seperate and run each off it's own wall switch so you can control the light and fan seperately there. But in your case they are likely wired together(unless of course it pulled out as in my case) in the ceiling fan box in the celing.

Another cause for the light(s) to no longer work, when it has a pull chain for it, is the cheap pull chain switch itself can wear out. You can by them for a few bucks at a home store or hardware store and change it out. If the wires are not nutted out in the open, you would have to cut the wires close to the potentially bad switch(so you have more wire in the fan to work with) and then wire nut in the new switch. You might even have to do that anyway if you lack a way of getting to the end of the switch wire to test it. It is real quick and easy to changeout them switches.

Another cause for a SINGLE light going out is the socket itself is bad. The hot and neutral often is sent thru rivots, and the heat can cause the rivot crimp(s) to go bad over time. Always look inside the socket carefuly to see if there are flash marks at those rivots. If yes, the socket is bad and needs to be replaced.

Old 05-19-10, 04:44 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Verify you have the ceiling fan black and blue connected to one of the wires and the white to the other. Ceiling fans often include very poor quality wires nuts. If you used it with the included wire nuts try with other wire nuts.

If it still doesn't work verify the wiring is good by connecting the old light. Once you know the wiring works and the connections were good return the fan for a new one.

Old 05-19-10, 07:40 PM
that orange may be a white that has got some discoloration over the years. I have ran across a few like this before, just old wire or a faded out red... Where is the orange wire coming from?? If from the switch its your switch which is prob a faded out red.. Need to figure out what it is forsure.

Asfar as the fan goes the black is the hot to the lights and the blue is the motor. You can tie them together with the switch leg or run them separate if you want a dimmer on the lights. You can do this with 12/3 and two switchsor with 12/2 and one switch.

2 gang 2 switchs run 12/3 share the hot at the switch. Run the dimmer(Black wire if you want) to the lighting lead(black) of the device tied to one switch. The other switch (motor) run the (red) switch leg to the (blue) with controls the motor with a single pole switch. This way you can control the lights with one switch, and the motor with the other.

The other way would be to tie the blue and black of the fan together and use 1 single pole switch for the both of them and just use the pull chains..

The last option if you have only a single pole switch and 12/2 romex existing and do not want to change all of this is to tie the (blue) lead of the motor to the constant hot from the panel (intercept it in the Jbox) and the switch leg to the black lead. This will enable you to still use a dimmer because you are hard wiring the motor into the circuit but, you can only control the motor with the pull chains (which is not a big deal.. worth it for a dimmer in my opinion..)

Good luck