Vinyl clad wiring, dangerous older country homes.

Reply

  #1  
Old 05-19-10, 06:07 AM
S
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2010
Location: can
Posts: 4
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl clad wiring, dangerous older country homes.

This is the cause of most electrical fires in the older homes.

I've pulled enough of this type wiring from the walls and flooring of country homes that was half eaten through by vermin, that I recommend they bring back the asphalt clad wiring of the 50/60's for country homes. If not for new homes at least for older not well protected homes where infestation is more likely.

I've seen runs of both wiring laying side by side to each other and the asphalt stuff completely free of gnawing, while the vinyl stuff was eaten. They usually eat the sheathing quite neatly, but on occasion will nip through to bare copper, sometimes adjacent insulation is removed leaving just 1/16 inch to make contact. Usually I find these when that is not the purpose of the renovation contract.

My guess is the mice get enough of a jolt to make them jump, or they'll get a trickle. I've never seen a fried mouse next to these bare cases, and is probably the source of fire.

The asphalt stuff leaves a gum on their teeth and they hate it.

I suppose the reason they don't is money. The municipalities once giving their approval find it difficult to own-up to the error. It's a case of administration people once again getting suckered in to big company ploys. Instead of demanding time tested results to products before implementing policies, they assume the company lab people have the best interest of the community first and they allow it. I recommend that CSA and UL need to TIME TEST, not just weekend lab test.

The municipalities have become the beta-testors of the manufacturers, at the detriment of the home owners safety.

Spence
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 05-19-10, 08:54 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 10,944
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
I think the primary issue is the rodent infestation. They ruin framing, drywall, insulation and other building materials too, as well as introduce disease into the home so wiring is just another item on the list.

Metal-clad cable or metal conduit should be used where animal activity cannot be controlled.

Manufacturers do produce plenty of long-lasting, durable products that improve safety. The real issue is that everyone jumps up and down about the added cost of the safer alternatives when changes are proposed to the building codes. Arc-fault breakers are a good example of this.
 
Reply
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: