NEED HELP... Wiring Problem

Old 05-24-10, 02:40 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
NEED HELP... Wiring Problem

I have been remodeling my house for about a year now and updating my electrical and so on. The box that is in that was too small and i have to put a sub panel in. I got a 8 space box with a 50 amp breaker from the main to the sub running on a 8-3 gauge wire. Now we have been having trouble with one of the 110 volts that come into the house. At times the light and outlets will go out on that current and won't come back on for a while, but it does trip any breakers and comes back on by itself. When it goes out got my test and check both lines coming in one is good with full power and the other one will either have some power or none at all. I don't if this is from the meter or something inside the house triggering it, because sometimes if you use something on that side that's having trouble it will shut off. I have replaced the main breaker and checked for any opens that would cause an arc. I don't know where too go from here.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-10, 02:51 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by tnt2492 View Post
a 50 amp breaker from the main to the sub running on a 8-3 gauge wire.
#8-3 has a maximum ampacity of 40A. The breaker should be no larger than 40A. Is it just the subpanel that is experiencing outages or the entire house?

I have replaced the main breaker
Did you do this without pulling the meter? Did the power company come out? Were the outdoor connections checked at this time?

I don't know where too go from here.
If the problem is with the whole house, your first step should be to call the power company, and they will come out to check the connections outside your home. Most power companies will check out and fix the problem for free if it is loose connection in their lines.

If the power company does not find a problem outside the house, you will need an electrician to check your meter socket and main panel for loose connections.

Please do not do any of this service work live or without the power company or an electrician present. It is very dangerous.

Old 05-24-10, 06:56 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i had problem like this years ago..i had overhead lines outside and over time, swinging in the wind the neutral wire was broke and caused all kinds of weird things to happen