power to detached garage

Old 05-28-10, 06:12 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question power to detached garage

Running 220volt to garage. Main is 150 amp w/ 1each double pole breakers, 40,30,20. 6 singe pole 20's, 8 single 15's with 4 slots open. Running 6ga SER 80ft to 100amp 6 space panel beofre going to garage with 6ga. TWHN in pvc. Planed on 50amp breaker in main and mid panel. panel in garage in 6 space 100 amp. Initially there will be 4 20amp circuits in garage.
At mid panel do I need to seperate ground from nuetral and put a ground rod in? I have a rod for garage panel. Please let me know if this is right.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-10, 08:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 72 Posts
First I am going to refer you to this sticky.

http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...-drawings.html

Next I am going to ask if you calculated a demand load to see if the 50 amps will be enough?

Old 05-28-10, 09:12 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I based the 5o amps off of the limit for the 6ga. ser wire. As far as demand I built a garage 5 years ago and hired an electrician to wire it. This was off a 100amp main he installed a mid panel and used 6ga. uf-b. On the list of materials he had 1- 40amp and 1- 30amp double pole.
What I have in the garage is 4 circuits. 1 for 6 lights, 1 for 7 outlets on wall, 1 for outside pool pump and another for the outlets for the overhead doors. This is the same as I had in previous garage. I do hope to have a 220 outlet for a compressor someday.