crimping ground wires together?

Reply

  #1  
Old 05-28-10, 03:45 PM
D
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: usa
Posts: 109
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
crimping ground wires together?

in stead of the wire-nut, is it code acceptable today to crimp a small copper sleeve (bushing) on ground wires twisted together? i have seen that in numerous boxes in my house.
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 05-28-10, 03:46 PM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 13,394
Received 148 Votes on 132 Posts
I believe it is an approved method but I HATE them. They are a PIA if you ever want to add a wire.
 
  #3  
Old 05-28-10, 06:43 PM
M
Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: so cal
Posts: 283
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
crimp vs wire nut

it's the way it's done in residential, but never in commercial
though I did have one inspector tell me to crimp them on a commercial job, I gave him a " you gotta be kidding me type of look", but since he failed my inspection, I did what he told me, I figured he was an all in one and thus with limited knowledge of code. I think the reason they are crimped in residential is that you basically never go back into a junction box ( and keep in mind all switch boxes and receptacle boxes are just that ) that is in drywall, the ground wire tend to be permanent, where as in commercial work, it not uncommon to tap off a given circuit and j boxes are up in the ceiling above the tee bar and re pull or reroute power, and for that you'ld never want crimped connections.
 
  #4  
Old 05-28-10, 07:26 PM
D
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: usa
Posts: 109
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks for clarifying

that is so true......i had to replace a box and had hell of a time undoing the crimp which was not even 2 inches from the jacket...could not even cut the wire as there was not much to begin with

Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
I believe it is an approved method but I HATE them. They are a PIA if you ever want to add a wire.
 
  #5  
Old 05-28-10, 07:30 PM
D
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: usa
Posts: 109
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
it is good to know it is legal but they are tough to rework....even in residential situation you have to do it once a while....my box cracked and just undoing the crimp became a project.

Originally Posted by mikerios View Post
it's the way it's done in residential, but never in commercial
though I did have one inspector tell me to crimp them on a commercial job, I gave him a " you gotta be kidding me type of look", but since he failed my inspection, I did what he told me, I figured he was an all in one and thus with limited knowledge of code. I think the reason they are crimped in residential is that you basically never go back into a junction box ( and keep in mind all switch boxes and receptacle boxes are just that ) that is in drywall, the ground wire tend to be permanent, where as in commercial work, it not uncommon to tap off a given circuit and j boxes are up in the ceiling above the tee bar and re pull or reroute power, and for that you'ld never want crimped connections.
 
  #6  
Old 05-30-10, 07:26 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 10,944
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Ground crimps are legal (with the correct crimp tool). I tend to use them in smaller boxes where the extra wirenut would get crowded.
 
  #7  
Old 05-30-10, 06:39 PM
D
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: usa
Posts: 109
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks, good point. i should invest in the right tool

Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
Ground crimps are legal (with the correct crimp tool). I tend to use them in smaller boxes where the extra wirenut would get crowded.
 
  #8  
Old 05-30-10, 11:10 PM
F
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NE Wis / Paris France{ In France for now }
Posts: 4,808
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have done that all the time with both resdentail and commercal locations and what I do with crimping set up I have used both 4 Index crimper or use the linemans pliers that have crimper in there { becarefull some crimp sleeve are not approve with other types of crimpers so be carefull with that some inspectors will nix that fast }

This what I do when I bring in grounding conductors I leave a extra strand on hand so in case have to add something it easy to do it.

Normally I use the crimp on smaller sized box but for larger one or deepwell boxes I use the wirenuts.

Merci,Marc
 
  #9  
Old 05-31-10, 08:42 AM
CasualJoe's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 10,543
Received 66 Votes on 57 Posts
is it code acceptable today to crimp a small copper sleeve (bushing) on ground wires twisted together?
Just remember, this method is NEC compliant, but not required by the NEC. It could, however, be a local requirement.
 
Reply
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: