crimping ground wires together?

Old 05-28-10, 03:45 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
crimping ground wires together?

in stead of the wire-nut, is it code acceptable today to crimp a small copper sleeve (bushing) on ground wires twisted together? i have seen that in numerous boxes in my house.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-10, 03:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 148 Votes on 132 Posts
I believe it is an approved method but I HATE them. They are a PIA if you ever want to add a wire.

Old 05-28-10, 06:43 PM
M
crimp vs wire nut

it's the way it's done in residential, but never in commercial
though I did have one inspector tell me to crimp them on a commercial job, I gave him a " you gotta be kidding me type of look", but since he failed my inspection, I did what he told me, I figured he was an all in one and thus with limited knowledge of code. I think the reason they are crimped in residential is that you basically never go back into a junction box ( and keep in mind all switch boxes and receptacle boxes are just that ) that is in drywall, the ground wire tend to be permanent, where as in commercial work, it not uncommon to tap off a given circuit and j boxes are up in the ceiling above the tee bar and re pull or reroute power, and for that you'ld never want crimped connections.

Old 05-28-10, 07:26 PM
D
thanks for clarifying

that is so true......i had to replace a box and had hell of a time undoing the crimp which was not even 2 inches from the jacket...could not even cut the wire as there was not much to begin with

Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
I believe it is an approved method but I HATE them. They are a PIA if you ever want to add a wire.

Old 05-28-10, 07:30 PM
D
it is good to know it is legal but they are tough to rework....even in residential situation you have to do it once a while....my box cracked and just undoing the crimp became a project.

Originally Posted by mikerios View Post
it's the way it's done in residential, but never in commercial
though I did have one inspector tell me to crimp them on a commercial job, I gave him a " you gotta be kidding me type of look", but since he failed my inspection, I did what he told me, I figured he was an all in one and thus with limited knowledge of code. I think the reason they are crimped in residential is that you basically never go back into a junction box ( and keep in mind all switch boxes and receptacle boxes are just that ) that is in drywall, the ground wire tend to be permanent, where as in commercial work, it not uncommon to tap off a given circuit and j boxes are up in the ceiling above the tee bar and re pull or reroute power, and for that you'ld never want crimped connections.

Old 05-30-10, 07:26 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Ground crimps are legal (with the correct crimp tool). I tend to use them in smaller boxes where the extra wirenut would get crowded.

Old 05-30-10, 06:39 PM
D
thanks, good point. i should invest in the right tool

Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
Ground crimps are legal (with the correct crimp tool). I tend to use them in smaller boxes where the extra wirenut would get crowded.

Old 05-30-10, 11:10 PM
F
I have done that all the time with both resdentail and commercal locations and what I do with crimping set up I have used both 4 Index crimper or use the linemans pliers that have crimper in there { becarefull some crimp sleeve are not approve with other types of crimpers so be carefull with that some inspectors will nix that fast }

This what I do when I bring in grounding conductors I leave a extra strand on hand so in case have to add something it easy to do it.

Normally I use the crimp on smaller sized box but for larger one or deepwell boxes I use the wirenuts.

Merci,Marc

Old 05-31-10, 08:42 AM
Received 66 Votes on 57 Posts
is it code acceptable today to crimp a small copper sleeve (bushing) on ground wires twisted together?
Just remember, this method is NEC compliant, but not required by the NEC. It could, however, be a local requirement.