Recessed lighting in screened in porch

Old 05-29-10, 08:03 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recessed lighting in screened in porch

Hey everyone. I'm renovating my screened in porch and want to remove the single ceiling light and install 2 recessed lighting cans.

Do I need to get a certain kind of outdoor or weatherproof version or would regular (perhaps airtight) cans work fine. Like from home depot or lowes?

Is it ok to have a trim that doesn't have a lense cover since it's a screened in porch?

Thanks !

Fish

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-10, 09:01 PM
F
anyone? Would really like to get materials this week for a weekend install. thanks!

Old 06-02-10, 04:53 AM
D
Do not see any problem as long as the location is dry.

Old 06-02-10, 06:09 AM
R
Hello Fish,

My under roof, screened porch have 5 recessed lighting cans. They do not have a lens cover. I’ve not found that to be a problem other than having to be careful when pressure washing. I made a simple tool using a “For Sale ” sign mounted to a stick which deflects the water.

The type I have can be purchased at HD or Lowes. Recessed lighting cans come in two distinct types, one for new installation where you’re not limited by an existing ceiling or restricted crawl space in attic and replacement cans to overcome those problems. I don’t recall the technical name(s) but the big box stores have these two types clearly shown in their displays as well as marked on the box by mfg. It might save you time from having to go back to the store by removing the existing ceiling light so that you can peer into the ceiling opening to better judge what is needed. Since they come in different diameters, this will also help determine a size that eliminates or minimizes work associated with fitting the light into your existing opening.

With respect to “outdoor or weatherproof version”, I doubt you’ll find that at a big box store if needing larger diameter bulbs (not sure, but you might find small diameter weatherproof cans used in bathroom shower areas). That shouldn’t present a significant problem, however. Because of high humidity in FL, the painted steel trim covers showed substantial rust after about 10 yrs. I replaced my trim covers a couple of yrs. ago when the mfg. sent me a batch of them at no charge. If your lucky, you might find ones made from aluminum or plastic. Since not using these lights frequently, I encountered a problem trying to remove a bulb whose steel base had rusted and was unable to be removed without damaging the socket. After replacing this fixture, I now apply a light film of lubricant (i.e., Fluid Film) on the base of the bulb after pressure washing once a yr., and no longer have that problem (a brass base might also alleviate that concern).

Old 06-02-10, 07:23 AM
F
Hey... thanks so much for the reply. Sounds like its off to HD for me.

I'm pretty familiar with installing these as I've done a few around the house. both New Constuction type (in BR) and the other type in kitchen. I have attic access to the porch area so the new construction type should be good for me. Looking forward to getting them in there and seeing how it looks with the new wainscoting ceiling. My main concern was needing a lens or not. but for now I'll try a trim without it and see how it does with bugs. Its very dry so i'm not too worried about moisture. though rust can be an issue I guess. but no different than being in a Bathroom.

So things are moving forward! thanks again for getting back to me.

Fish
><>

Old 06-02-10, 07:55 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Regular cans should be just fine. Air-tight are not necessary although might help with keeping the bugs out of the fixture. You can use a normal trim as long as the area is dry. With a wooden ceiling, you'll need to make sure the can opening extends flush or slightly proud to the wood surface. The code does not allow any exposed recess of the fixture into flammable material.