wiring two switches from one switch

Old 11-27-00, 08:09 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I have an existing switch at the top of the stairs leading to the basement that controls the basement light. I ran a 12/2 wire to the light and a 2nd switch that to want to place next to the existing switch at the top the stairs.
my question is how do you properly wire this in to the existing switch. I have tried and got some funky results

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-00, 07:51 AM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Are you trying to power a (new) separate lighting circuit with the new 2nd switch? If so you can't do it from the first switch. A light switch does not have a neutral, and it is unlikely that there is a neutral in that existing switch box. When wiring a switched lighting circuit you have a hot ( black) and a neutral (white) coming out of your load center (fuse or breaker box). The neutral goes directly to the light fixture where it is permanently connected. The hot goes directly to the switch and then from the switch to the fixture. The switch simply makes and breaks the hot connection to the light.

If you tell us what you're trying to do with the 2nd switch we may be able to walk you through it.

JH

Old 11-28-00, 08:02 PM
sprky
Visiting Guest
hello robspham,
from the info in your post i cant tell if what you r doing is possabel.
if there is only 1 set of romex in the existing switch box and the white and black r both attached to the switch and if you r trying to make the new switch/light work off this it cant be done as there is no nutural present.
if this is not the case then tell us what colore wires r in the existing box and exactily what you r trying to do.