wiring on a 5wire 2 speed motor

Old 06-04-10, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wiring on a 5wire 2 speed motor

I have a 36 inch 2 speed drum fan that has 5 wires coming out of the motor. It has a red, white, black and 2 yellow wires. I think there was a 2 speed switch wired at one point but it is missing. The brand of fan is a utilitech and from what I know it came from lowes. Its a model hvd36a. There are no markings on the motor or any type of id plate. Right now I have it wired black to black, white to white, the 2 yellows tied together and the red disconnected and it works on a low speed. How can I wire this to work on high? Thanks

Old 06-04-10, 05:24 PM
Received 14 Votes on 10 Posts
White is neutral, black is high, red is low. The two yellows are probably for a capacitor.
Check with the fan manufacturer to be sure.
Andy

Old 06-04-10, 09:54 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 22mr2 View Post
I have a 36 inch 2 speed drum fan that has 5 wires coming out of the motor. It has a red, white, black and 2 yellow wires. I think there was a 2 speed switch wired at one point but it is missing. The brand of fan is a utilitech and from what I know it came from lowes. Its a model hvd36a. There are no markings on the motor or any type of id plate. Right now I have it wired black to black, white to white, the 2 yellows tied together and the red disconnected and it works on a low speed. How can I wire this to work on high? Thanks

The yellow is for capaitor if this motor is PSC.

White to white is fine { that is netural }

You have black hooked up now that is low speed to get high speed you will need a two speed switch the red is for high speed { some fan motor will use both black and red for high speed }

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: