3 speed ac motor

Old 06-08-10, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3 speed ac motor

I am perplexed and need a little help. I have a three speed 115volt, 60hz, phase 1 AC electric motor. I have a 3 speed switch with four lugs. If you ohm it out the switch will give you three different positions. In other words the hot will go to lug 1 and if you click it will connect between one and lug two and if you click it again it will break from lug two and connect from lug one to lug three etc. The motor has a yellow wire which appears to be ground, a red which is low, blue which is medium, and a black which is high. It uses a running capacitor on the two brown wires. The motor works great on low speed but if you click the switch to go to medium the RPM remains the same. The tone of the motor changes but not the RPM. If you go to high the RPM stays the same and the tone of the motor changes even more. Am I missing something? Should more than one winding at a time be connected to give you the different speeds?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-10, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi,
You have your motor connected properly. You will not notice any changes in the motor RPM in an UNLOADED state. The speed change will become apparent at the motors rated load.