Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Portable Electricity Generator for Outdoor Music Recording

Old 06-14-10, 04:28 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi,

me and my brother really wanted to go outside and record music in nature.

i was wondering what would be the best portable generator for us to use.

i would be powering up a synthesizer, laptop(with usb hardware) and a keyboard controlling the synthesizer. All are AC voltage.

i was looking to spend no more that $250 and wanted something with VERY low noise. I dont know whether a gas powered one would be better or a rechargeable one? I would want it to last at least 5 hours with 2 -3 outlets.

any information would be of great assistance.

Old 06-14-10, 05:08 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Cheap generators or rough on electronics because thy output dirty power not a clean sign wave.
I dont know whether a gas powered one would be better or a rechargeable one
No such thing as a recrageble generator. Do you mean batteries. A few car batteries or marine batteries in parallel hooked to an inverter might be you best answer unless your carrying them any distance. Give us the amps or watts on the name plate of each device.

Old 06-14-10, 05:11 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
A gas generator is the simplest and cheapest answer, but it will not be quiet. When it comes to any kind of gas engine, cheap does not equal quiet.

You might be able to get away with some kind of car charger type setup or maybe even solar since the devices you're using really don't pull that much power. I'm sure someone will be able to suggest a battery solution.

Old 06-14-10, 06:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Honda generators are by far the most quiet ones out there. Honda Power Equipment - Honda Super Quiet Generators The ones I have seen at shows are quiet enough to watch tv with them near by. I suggest seeing one run before you buy to see if it will fit your needs.

Old 06-15-10, 07:52 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I agree that Honda inverter-type generators are the quietest you can get. They are also safe for electronics because of the inverter output.

If you want this to be actually silent however, you will need to get a solid-state inverter and haul a car battery or deep cycle marine battery with you. This option will probably also be cheaper than a Honda generator, but has a limited run time and needs a couple hours of recharge time between uses. Of course you could bring a couple batteries with you if the run time was too short on one battery.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: