Circuit Problems, Please Help!

Old 06-21-10, 07:35 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Circuit Problems, Please Help!

Hey Folks--

Here is the gist--I have two rooms on the same circuit--the guest room and our bedroom. My wife was in our bedroom earlier when the power went off. The rest of the circuit was still working. I tested the outlets in the guest bedroom and they test fine. The light switch, however, didn't read and the overhead light and fan do not work. I tested the wires coming into the light switch box and got no reading. Went to the closest receptacle and tested the wires leaving and they read correctly. Finally, we've been in the house for under 2 years, so I am working from the assumption that the receptacle I tested and the switch that isn't working follow each other in the circuit. This seems to be the only logical conclusion, as there doesn't appear to be anything else possible that could be between the two. But, I don't know for sure and I don't know how to be sure.

Anyway, bottom line is that I think the connection to the switch is either faulty or the wire itself is...any speculation and/or advice from you all? What would you do next?

Thanks,

Chrisatola

Old 06-21-10, 08:07 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 203 Votes on 181 Posts
Unless you've recently put up a new picture and put a nail through the wire, the problem is most likely a connection. 99.9% of the time the wire itself is not the problem.

This leaves any receptacle or switch nearby. Check nearby rooms because wires are sometimes run in odd patterns when the house is constructed.

Also, are the wires connected to the receptacles using the 'back stabs' (where the wire is just shoved into the back of the receptacle), or is it actually around the screw? Back-stabbed outlets are notorious for causing these kinds of problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: