adding a GFCI outlet to the shed

Old 06-27-10, 08:07 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
adding a GFCI outlet to the shed

OK need advice on how to add an outlet to the shed. As far as I can tell there is no ground and all the wiring runs through conduit. I want to add an additional outlet. If I use a GFCI outlet can I just run the cable from an existing outlet to the new one and install the GFCI outlet or do I have to use conduit and run the wire through that.

If I have to use conduit, can I still run the cable through it or do I have to strip the outer covering. Unfortunately I already have the cable as that is what a local DIY place said I needed.

Old 06-27-10, 08:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What kind of wire did you get? The cable will need to be protected if it will be subjected to physical damage.

You can tap off the other receptacle.

Old 06-27-10, 08:44 AM
It used to be common to find romex type wiring in sheds and garages just run along the studs and joists, but today I think it is required to be protected. The fact that your existing is in conduit tells the story. You could check with the local electircal inspector to see if he would allow it.

Strictly speaking, you cannot use the wires by stripping of the outer cable jacket. Although the wires may be of the correct type, they are not labeled as such. Would anybody notice? Probably not!!

Old 06-27-10, 09:44 AM
C
I got the 12 gauge, Romex I believe. Its got a yellow outer covering.

The way I plan to run the cable in the shed it would not be seen. I guess my question is because there is no ground can I use this cable and connect it to a GFCI outlet.

My understanding is that these homes are 34 years old and I gather the conduit technically makes the circuit ground. Am I right in thinking I do not need to ground a GFCI.

The old receptacle just has the black and white wires in it but it is attached to conduit.

I do hope I am making sense here.

Old 06-27-10, 06:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The GFI does not need the ground to operate. However, new wiring is required to be grounded.

If the conduit is complete and is providing the ground for the old wiring, you would attach the ground from the new cable to the metallic box at the conduit end using a grounding screw or clip. At the new end you would attach to the GFI and the new box if metallic.

If this is a detached shed the NM cable will need to be covered with a material with a 15 minute burn finish or greater.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: