Circuit Problems--Redux

Old 06-30-10, 07:58 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Circuit Problems--Redux

Hey Folks,

Recently I posted this about a problem I was having on a circuit. Basically, part of the circuit worked, but after a certain connection the outlets and switches stopped working. With your help, I isolated a switch that wasn't working, disconnected it, reconnected it, and everything worked.

Well, tonight, the problem has appeared again. The lights flickered and went off, and everything beyond this same switch stopped working. The lights and outlets then came back on. This repeated itself, and so I turned the switch in question off. When I turned the switch off, the problem ceased (not immediately, but within 30 seconds to a minute). I turned the switch back on, and the problem began again. Turned it off, and problem stopped--same as before. Googling brought me to this page, with the second #2 drawing my attention. Does this sound like a failing switch, or am I allowing myself to be deluded with thoughts of an easy fix? Is there a more serious problem behind this that I wouldn't know about? I'm new to the game of home repairs...

Thanks again for any and all feedback.
Chris

Old 06-30-10, 08:05 PM
C
How rapidly things change...virtually when I posted my previous statement, the power went off same as before. My outlet tester says it is correct on one, then after the switch in question, it doesn't light up (indicating open hot?) Is the switch connection still likely to blame.

Thanks again.

Old 06-30-10, 08:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Does the switch control the outlet during normal operation? IF not then it is likely else ware on the circuit.

Old 06-30-10, 08:14 PM
C
No the switch is for an overhead light/fan. The switch only seems significant because it is the first thing on the circuit that doesn't work. The outlet before the switch tests fine. The switch is not turning on the light, and everything after the switch on the circuit isn't working either. That's why I'm suspicious of something having to do with the switch.

Thanks!

Old 07-01-10, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Could be a poor connection at the switch, at the light or just a failing light or bulb. Make sure the bulb is good by replacing it with a known good one. I have seen where a bulb seams good but the broken filament sometimes still makes contact. You do say "lights" so if it is multiple lights or bulbs this is doubtful.
Switches are cheap and fairly easy to replace. As long as you connect them the same way as the old switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: