I am not getting power to my light switch?

Old 07-03-10, 11:20 AM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not getting power to my light switch?

I have a light on the back of my house that should light up the deck. When I moved into the house, it was not working but I thought it was maybe a bad light fixture. I have now replaced the light fixture but the light still does not work. I don't have any other lights or outlets that are not working. I check all the GFCI outlets and tested them but that is not the issue. I also checked the breaker box but nothing is tripped. I used a multimeter to test the wiring at the switch and according to the meter, I am not getting any power to those wires and ultimately to the switch.

I am not sure what else to do. Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions? Is there is something I may be overlooking? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 07-03-10, 11:23 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
How many wires at the switch? How many wires at the light. Tell us all of the wires and how thwy are connected.

Old 07-05-10, 06:02 AM
W
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Breaker

Turn the breaker off and on. Breakers can be tripped without the handle being in the tripped position.

Old 07-05-10, 06:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 158 Likes on 139 Posts
If the above suggestions do not work you will need to find out where the switch box is fed from.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: