Is there a recessed safety outlet cover?

Old 07-03-10, 03:57 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is there a recessed safety outlet cover?

My first born is just starting to crawl, and I'm entering a whole new world of danger and hazard. I caught her playing with a plugged in cord, right against the outlet. I remember as kid getting shocked pulling out a cord and touching the metal prongs as they were still making contact in the outlet, and I can't find a product that works with American style plugs that protect against this. Plenty of plugs to cover open holes (in fact our outlets are all new with internal covers) but nothing to protect against exposed metal when pulling it out.

In Hungary, I saw that they have recessed outlets that prevent this - see it here - Type F Electrical Outlet and Electrical Receptacle

It would seem simple enough to me to have a product that's an extra deep outlet cover that would make it very difficult to reach around the plug. I could make something like this from some 3/4 inch thick plastic (with two holes drilled to allow plugs to pass through), but I don't know where to find something like that affordably, and as I mentioned, I have a new baby and time is precious. Any help?

Old 07-03-10, 05:28 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't think anyone makes exactly what you describe (I know what you're talking about, it's similar to how the UK style plugs are designed), only because it would cause problems with wall warts (adapters) and odd shaped plugs. There's a company called LectraLock that makes a two piece safety plate with a snap on lexan cover that keeps her from getting to the plug in the first place. Think of the in-use type covers for outdoor receptacles. They're reasonably priced too, $7-10 apiece.

LectraLock

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: