Static shocks

Old 07-04-10, 09:58 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Static shocks

I'm probably not in the right forum but, our family gets a shock when we leave our just installed PVC deck to come into the house. Any solutions will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-10, 10:37 AM
This is similiar to a situation involving new carpet. I don't know if it's doing this because it's new material, or if it will continue. Wonder if the manufacturer would suggest some type of coating or what.

Old 07-04-10, 11:11 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
haha yeah, unfortunately new PVC will hold a charge, and there's not a whole lot you can do about it until the static dissipates naturally. It gets 'charged up' through the friction of cutting and fastening, and sheds the charge into you when you walk across it.

Old 07-04-10, 01:06 PM
B
Received 34 Votes on 31 Posts
Hi BOGAYO, there are antistatic sprays, but I have never looked for one for outside use. The ones I have used are water based and simply deposit a layer of conductive minerals, which I assume would wash off shortly in the rain.

Controling static charges requires a bit of imagination, since you can't actually see it. But what is needed is a path to ground that disipates the energy before it builds up and before you enter the house.

Your two options are to look for an antistatic treatment for outdide use, or something conductive to walk over before you enter the house.

A quick test would be to hang some length of light weight copper wire from several points around the deck down to where they are in good contact with the ground. Like the straps that trail behind cars to dissipade the static charge, anything that provides a path will help.

Bud

Old 07-04-10, 06:52 PM
T
Received 29 Votes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
A quick test would be to hang some length of light weight copper wire from several points around the deck down to where they are in good contact with the ground. Like the straps that trail behind cars to dissipade the static charge, anything that provides a path will help.

Bud

For a non-conductive material, like a plastic, you will need a ion generator to bleed off the charge. Not particularly cheap for a big area, they are used in many industries, notably the plastic film handling, semiconductor processing, and more.
Attaching grounding wires to a non-conductor will provide dissapointing results.

LIke when you remove panty hose or a sweater from a dryer, and they are highly charged, even when spun in a conductive drum (steel).

Old 07-04-10, 07:23 PM
B
Received 34 Votes on 31 Posts
ion generator, that's cute . Actually the minerals in the soils that accumulate over time will provide enough of a path over the surface of the plastic, but what is missing are sufficient paths to ground. I did a bit of searching and found paints to increase the conductivity, but nothing clear that could simply be sprayed on.

For treating large offices that did not have antistatic carpets, we used a liquid spray, primarily water, that was available in gallon quantities and not very expensive. Although rain might wash away 90% of it, the spray underneath and on the support columns might last long enough to be of benefit. Re-apply on occasion as needed. Again, your are just buying time until the normal dust and dirt coating will probably take over and do the trick.

Bud