Installing a 208V Line to a Double Electric Oven

Old 07-06-10, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing a 208V Line to a Double Electric Oven

I know electrical for every day stuff at my home. I am in the process of doing a kitchen remodel and am going from a gas oven to an electric oven.

I have 120V feed to my home. The requirements for the new Double Oven I am installing are the following:

MAX 208V CONNECTED LOAD = 39 AMPS
MAX 240 CONNECTED LOAD = 34 AMPS
POWER SUPPLY = 208/240V 4 WIRE, 60HZ, 40A

The Oven is a Dacor ECD227.

I need to clarify how I run the electrical to this oven from my 120 Panel.

I think I need to run two lines from 2 40 Amp Breakers. I think I need to run 4 lines .... but again not to sure here?

I really would like to try and get some help to help make sure I wire this correctly. I am a bit of a visual person. Your input is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-10, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Not a Pro...but a few things to clarify.

If you REALLY only have a 120 feed (doubtful...but I've heard of it in old places) you will never be able to use the oven. More likely you have a 240 panel...but you may have no 240 appliances. If you have whole house A/C..then you have 240...

Residential voltages are 120 and 240. I think that 208 is normally found in commercial settings.

I know you said you know electrical for everyday stuff...but some of your statements don't support that. I'd suggest reading though a book called Wiring Simplified before you start on this. It's pretty cheap and available at Home Centers.

The Pro's would need a lot more info to begin helping. Size (current capacity) of main panel, number of available breaker slots and their location, type of dwelling construction, how do you intend to route the wiring, total distance from panel to oven, etc.

Old 07-06-10, 08:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by getrusty View Post
I think I need to run two lines from 2 40 Amp Breakers. I think I need to run 4 lines .... but again not to sure here?
This oven needs a 40A double-pole breaker in the panel, which takes the space of two breakers but is one integrated unit. From the breaker, you need to run #8-3g NM-B cable with appropriate box clamps, staples, and bore holes to support and protect it. This cable has four wires: black, red, white, bare. You should terminate the circuit in a double-gang or 4x4 junction box in the wallspace behind or under the oven. The oven manual may have a diagram indicating where the best location for the junction box is. If the oven uses a receptacle and cord it should be a NEMA 14-50 configuration, otherwise it will be hardwired to your junction box with a flexible whip; use the correct size wirenuts to make the connections.

Old 07-06-10, 09:10 AM
Ive never heard of service with only 1x 120v branch. Must be an old house thing, but My house is 130 years old, along with many others in this area and I've never seen that. How many wires are entering your service drop? You should have 3? Two of them should be 120v hot branches. Double pole breakers use both of these.

Old 07-06-10, 09:10 AM
I did make a mistake in my original post. Sorry man... its a DIY forum right.

Heres is a pic of my panel

http://gallery.me.com/getrusty#100012/Panel

Old 07-06-10, 09:17 AM
As I posted in the specs the oven

I have been researching this and its looks like I should have stated it this way.

* Electrical: 240 V, 40 A

Old 07-06-10, 09:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Based on your picture, are you in a city that requires conduit? Chicago and NYC come to mind, but there are probably others. If so the NM-B cable in my previous reply may not be appropriate.

Old 07-06-10, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
You have a 200 amp 120/240 volt service. Siemens/ITE if I am not mistaken.

You will need a 2 pole 40 amp breaker and run #8 wires. IF you run conduit you need 3 #8 (hot, hot, neutral) and 1 #10 ground (assuming your running flex) Otherwise, if it is approved in your city, you can run 8/3 w/g NM-b.

Old 07-06-10, 10:45 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dfeerst View Post
Ive never heard of service with only 1x 120v branch. Must be an old house thing, but My house is 130 years old, along with many others in this area and I've never seen that. How many wires are entering your service drop? You should have 3? Two of them should be 120v hot branches. Double pole breakers use both of these.
O/T but a minor corection to this. It should read two 240v lines and one grounded center tap line from which 120v is derived.

Old 07-06-10, 04:08 PM
That is Sieamens load centre and yes you have couple empty slot you can use the two pole breaker 40 amp size and the conductor size you will need is 10mm˛ { #8 AWG } you will need red , black , white and green conductors.

I did noticed that you have conduit so you will have to run in 1/2 inch conduit but I rather you use the 3/4 inch conduit it easier to pull thru.

And follow the manufacter instruction for the juction box location this is very important part otherwise you will run into major issue if not covered this part first.

Merci.
Marc

Old 07-06-10, 06:48 PM
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
The manufacturer's website calls for just 240 volts, 40 amps

Requirements:

Electrical: 240 V, 40 A
I would ask the dealer for more information because as most have stated, electric ranges usually require a 4 wire circuit including a neutral. If this is the case, the manufacturer should list the requirement as 120/240 volts. If in fact this range just needs 240 volts, you wouldn't need a neutral, but that would be very unusual.

Dacor Kitchen Appliances: Epicure Classic Double Wall Ovens

Found more info in the installation manual:

208/240V,
4-wire,
60Hz, 40A
It's still stated incorrectly, but between this info and the 4 wire illustration I now know for sure you need a 4 wire circuit that includes a neutral.