Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Using a 3 into 2 Grounding Adapter on an extension cord outdoors?

Old 07-07-10, 07:33 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couple days ago I bought a landscaping spotlight for the flag in my front yard, which has a 1ft cord and 3 prong plug, but I need the light about 6ft away from the nearest outlet. I happen to have an extension cord I made awhile back with an inline light sensor, that I would like to use for this spotlight (which would be perfect for this application). The only problem is, the extension cord only has 2 prongs. I have a 3 into 2 grounding adapter, and it of course it has the tab to provide a ground to 2 prong plugs.

My question: Is there some way for me to ground this adapter to use it safely outdoors with this spotlight?

Old 07-07-10, 07:41 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's not really necessary for that application. This is one of those lights on a spike, right? Those are grounded by design and don't really need a grounding plug (and if it's a plastic housing/spike, there's nothing to ground anyway). As long as your outlet is a GFCI, it is safe to use that adapter without connecting the ground tab.

Old 07-07-10, 08:46 PM
M
Originally Posted by JerseyMatt View Post
This is one of those lights on a spike, right?
Yep! The housing is aluminum, but that shouldn't make a difference. That's a huge relief, cause the spotlight is the brightest I could find at 150w, but no light sensor, so the extension cord I made at my old house is perfect for this.

Thanks for the fast reply!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: