Help with light fixture wiring

Old 07-11-10, 06:23 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with light fixture wiring

Were upgrading a light fixture and aren't sure how it should be hooked up.

Ceiling:

Light Fixture:

Old 07-11-10, 06:49 PM
N
How was the previous one wired? Didn't this one come with directions? Generally, from the photos, white to white, black to red. The green would be put around the green screw on the fixture strap if the box is metal. If the box is plastic, splice the green fixture wire to the group of bare wires in the box.

I say generally because the red wire in the box doesn't necessarily have to be the switch leg. It probably is, given that the black wires are tucked into the back of the box, and that this is a replacement fixture, not a new installation. if you have a tester/meter, put one probe on the red wire and one on the ground wires and see if the voltage goes on and off with the flip of the switch. (Also, if you have voltage when going from red to ground, check for voltage from red to white, just to be sure your neutral is continuous.) If these tests prove that the red wire is your switch leg (the wire that goes from the switch to the fixture) then wire as I described above.

Old 07-11-10, 07:18 PM
J
Hi, thanks for the response. The old fixture had two unmarked wires (both in a clear plastic, no white/black) going to the white and the exposed one. Then a thin unsheathed wire (ground?) going to the red. I'm pretty sure this is how it was, but am 2nd guessing myself. There was no wire screwed into that green screw, I just took it from the old setup and screwed it in there.

The directions are from IKEA so no words but the picture shows white to white, black to black, and it shows the green wire and the 2 thin silver wires should go to a dotted-line wire from the ceiling (I assume they mean the ground).

I did notice that the exposed wire from the ceiling was under a screw at the top of the box in the ceiling (further proof that it is a ground?) The box is metal, so should I do white to white, black to red, and then green around the screw? But where would the 2 silver ones go?

Old 07-12-10, 08:09 AM
N
The silver ones, if they're bare and the directions indicate that they should be grouped with the green wire, are ground wires. I find it hard to believe that the old fixture's ground wire would be connected to the red wire in the box.

If you have no testing equipment, and no desire to purchase any, go to home depot and get yourself a pigtail socket (ask someone in the electrical department). This is a light socket covered in rubber that has short white and black tails coming from the bottom. Screw in a bulb and you have yourself a tester. Use this to perform the tests I described previously. Your confirmation of voltage is the bulb lighting to normal brilliance.

If you find that the red wire is the switch leg, wire it white to white, black to red, green/silvers to ground. if not, report back here...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: