does an remote electrical timer like this exist?

Old 07-12-10, 06:32 AM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
does an remote electrical timer like this exist?

you never know if you dont ask.

Ideally i'd like a timer (handling 5 amp 600 watt dehumidifier) that i can remotely set from my ez chair. I use time of day electric (cheapest is 9pm to 9am and all weekend) but i dont need to run the dehumidifer everyday so it's not like i can just buy a traditional timer and set it to run every evening. It needs human intervention.

I'm assuming this would have to be some kind of computer control module or hardwire? (hardwire isnt an option in my sitution though) But ideally i'd like to be able to come home, look at my 4 panel humidity meter and see if i need to run the machine overnight, then sit on the ez chair and say 'computer, run the dehumidifier for X hours overnight starting after 9pm " - just like in star trek

Ok maybe that's not realistic but i am on my laptop every night (though i dont want to have to keep it on to make this work) or if there is some kind of other wireless remote that you could set up on a timer that would be great but i never heard of it.

Also, i cannot just set the machine for X % and run it because i do not want to operate it on peak hours unless it's absolutely necessary.

any other suggestions are appreciated.

Old 07-12-10, 07:04 AM
W
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
Humidifier

A traditional time-of-day timer would control power to the dehumidifier at specific times of the day. Set the humidifier controls for the humidity level you want. Then it would only run if necessary during the specified times. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your project.

Old 07-12-10, 08:04 AM
L
Hmm thats so simple it's amazing. I just have to check the switch on the machine. The way it's set now, when i plug it in the fan is constantly going but of course the compressor only kicks in above the set RH. But if i can set it to only turn the fan on when the compressor is on, that your solution indeed is the cheapest and easiest one!

of course then i worry about when i have the windows open overnight (admittedly rare) and then the thing kicks in but i guess it's something i just have to work around and just unplug it then.

Old 07-12-10, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Check this out,
GE Indoor In-Wall Smart Digital Timer - 15071 at The Home Depot

I've been using this timer for a while now and it works good. You can use it to control the outlet that the dehumidifer is plugged into.

Emil

Old 07-12-10, 04:50 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
This is one of the few situations where I would recommend X-10 remote control. You would need a command console and an appliance module and from there it is plug-and-play for less than $30. If you also wanted the timer function it would be a bit more.

Old 07-12-10, 06:11 PM
Received 99 Votes on 89 Posts
Just a thought.....you could run the power through a timer set for time of day (or night) and then run the power though a humidistat set to your desired level of humidity. The dehumidifier would only run when the relative humidity is above the setting on the humidistat and then only when allowed by the timer.

Old 07-15-10, 07:20 AM
L
I'll have to read up more about x10 since it's been years since i've looked at it. It may interest me from the perspective of me being wanting to control it from my living room.

Regarding the switch timer there's no place to plug in the machine what i neglected to mention is where i plug it in, the top is a switch to operate my overhead light and the bottom is a dedicated outlet. so i need a plug in solution

I finally did remember last night to look at the switch on the machine and sure enough there is an Auto switch which makes the fan only come on when the compressor kicks in. Therefore i just need to find the appropriate timer per the suggestion in post #2 if i decide to go that way and ensure it has easy manual override. thanks. Also i hope i can find one with settings that arent forgotten when the juice goes out.

Old 07-17-10, 07:12 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 178 Votes on 159 Posts
Here's an example of what you might want/need.
Westek TE55WHB 1-Outlet Digital Timer with Grounded Outlet - Smarthome

(I've never used this one in particular, so I cant vouch for it)

If you decide to go down the X-10 remote control route, I'd highly recommend you look into Insteon. It's a newer technology with a lot fewer problems than X-10 had. It'll still be expensive though to get a timer controller, remote controller, and device switch.

At least you have options

Old 08-03-10, 07:18 AM
L
for now i went to home depot and got the heavy duty version of the same one that is used to control my living room light. I'm very familar with the ease of programming and also it's very easy to override, a bit concern of mine. I've set the dehumidifer at what i believe is the appropriate setting and it runs from about 9pm to 3am each night. I can set separate times for weekends, when power is cheap all day, but am holding off on that for now.

if i find this isn't working for me, then ill dig into the x10 info but for now, i think this should meet my needs.

oh one final thing, when it says 1250 watts tungsten that doesnt mean just can right lights, correct? the thing did say it runs air conditioners

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: