Outside light wiring not working

Old 07-12-10, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Outside light wiring not working

We just moved into a new house and thought the outdoor light on the outside of the garage was burnt out. The house is 15 years old so it made sense.

Long story short, we bought a new light and it didn't work. So we tested the light and it worked, and then we tested the old light too and it also worked. Go figure...

It might also help to know there is an outlet right on the inside of the wall (within a few feet of the broken light/electric) and it works fine. There are also lights in the garage that all work fine too.

So, the problem is I have literally no idea where to look for help. If anyone could give me some advice on where to start that would be great.

Thanks for the help.

PS I should add that I'm in Texas as well.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-10, 09:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This maybe a dumb question, but did you turn the switch on? They are usually in the breezeway of the front door.......

Old 07-12-10, 09:13 AM
Holy **** that's not dumb at all I don't know if we even thought of that... I know I didn't but it was a 2-man job out there.

Thanks for the tip, lol.

The garage is detached though so I would assume the switch is out there. But still I never got the old light to turn on when I was just doing all the switches. I think I'll hook it back up though and see.

Old 07-13-10, 09:18 PM
Ok, it turns out the switch was not the simple problem (unfortunately!), so what can I try next?

Old 07-13-10, 10:24 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Next look for a GFCI. It could be anywhere from an outside receptacle to an upstairs guest bathroom seldom used. It could be behind something. You just never know where. It shouldn't be in the house if it is a detached garage unless the whole garage runs off it but you never know.

Old 07-13-10, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Next look for a GFCI. It could be anywhere from an outside receptacle to an upstairs guest bathroom seldom used. It could be behind something. You just never know where. It shouldn't be in the house if it is a detached garage unless the whole garage runs off it but you never know.
Ok, I don't know what a GFCI is but I googled it and see it looks like just an outlet? Well, there is are a couple outlets in the garage near the broken light. Also, the garage is not only detached, but it's about 10-15 meters away from the house as well.

I can take pictures if it would help.

Old 07-13-10, 11:05 PM
F
Did any inside garage luminaire working ?? if so and you may have bad connection if not and by the way do you have a switch for outdoor luminaire from the garage and the house ??

If the inside lumiaires are not lit at all check all the RCD { GFCI } and push in you will have to feel a click to see it you have have power some case check the house side as well sometime it can be interconnected to one of the outdoor recetpales as well.

Merci.
Marc

Old 07-14-10, 10:23 PM
Imageshack - 90872511.jpg
Imageshack - 46513717.jpg
Imageshack - 35566728.jpg
Imageshack - 20419794.jpg

Here are some pictures of the set up in the area where the light is not working. I hope this can help.

Old 07-14-10, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
Did any inside garage luminaire working ?? if so and you may have bad connection if not and by the way do you have a switch for outdoor luminaire from the garage and the house ??

If the inside lumiaires are not lit at all check all the RCD { GFCI } and push in you will have to feel a click to see it you have have power some case check the house side as well sometime it can be interconnected to one of the outdoor recetpales as well.

Merci.
Marc
There are 2 lights inside the garage that both work. There is only 1 light on the outside, and it is the one that doesn't work.

Old 07-14-10, 11:09 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If that wire running up the wall goes to light the installation is not code compliant. It may be best to run a new circuit for the light and abandon the existing circuit once you determine where it originates.

Old 07-14-10, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
If that wire running up the wall goes to light the installation is not code compliant. It may be best to run a new circuit for the light and abandon the existing circuit once you determine where it originates.
I think that cord goes to something in the garage attic, installed after the garage was built. We are not the original owners.

Old 07-15-10, 10:36 PM
F
Then it will be good time to check it out to see if everything is up to code and safe if you feel something fishy with funky stuff it will be the best time to remove it and run the correct NM cable or other means to meet the codes.

Oh yeah extendsion cord is not a perament useage at all.

Merci.
Marc