Wiring two switches to one outlet (NOT 3-way)

Old 07-12-10, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring two switches to one outlet (NOT 3-way)

First time post, thank you in advance for any help.

I'm looking to wire a single outlet to two single-pole switches. The desired effect would be for any device attached to this outlet to receive power if either or both of the switches are on, but not if both of the switches are off. I'm specifically looking for this effect.

The scenario involves two sensor-activated switches where I would want a device to operate if either of the sensors were activated. I could translate a wiring diagram using switches and an outlet to my particular application.

Would it be as simple as just splicing the hots and neutrals from both individual switches with the outlet or would that result in very bad things

I've been unable to find any examples demonstrating how to do anything like this although conceptually it is fairly simple.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-10, 05:41 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Simply wire the two switches in parallel and then this combination in series with the load.

With "sensors" you have to be certain that the switching electronics are properly powered which will almost always mean that they will need their own neutral connection rather than "steal" power through the load. You also must use the same circuit for both switches or sensors.

As an example I have a photocell on my outside lights to cause them to be on from dusk to dawn. I can override this by means of a switch that is in the power (hot) lead to the photocell and I can also turn the lights on manually by means of a switch that is wired to the hot and load sides of the photocell.

Old 07-12-10, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I'm glad it was that simple.

The 'sensors' are a thermostat and humidistat with their own outlets so all power flows through them, therefore they are on the same circuit and already have a neutral hookup so I'll just wire up two plugs, one to each outlet on the box, and splice them together in a junction box with a new 'common' outlet.