Knob&tube update

Old 12-05-00, 01:40 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Thanks to OldGuy, JuiceHead, & Wgoodrich on the invaluable info re: K&T wiring. Since my K&T IS buried in insulation, it's being decommissioned. A ? I have is I won't be able to secure the new cable for about 8 ft of the run from one crawl space to the other one. The cable will be going in between joists, not thru them. On the cable's packaging it says to secure w/staples every 4.5 ft & within 1 ft of terminations. What is acceptable in this location? Thanks.

Old 12-05-00, 03:00 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

There is an exception to the NEC that allows non metalic sheathed cable [Romex] not to be stapled in remodle work.

336-18. Supports
Nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall be secured by staples, cable ties, straps, or similar fittings designed and installed so as not to damage the cable. Cable shall be secured in place at intervals not exceeding 4½ ft (1.37 m) and within 12 in. (305 mm) from every cabinet, box, or fitting. Flat cables shall not be stapled on edge. Cables run through holes in wood or metal joists, rafters, or studs shall be considered to be supported and secured.
FPN: See Section 370-17(c) for support where nonmetallic boxes are used.
Exception No. 1: For concealed work in finished buildings or finished panels for prefabricated buildings where such supporting is impracticable, it shall be permissible to fish cable between access points.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: