Breaking tab off netural side in recep.

Old 07-21-10, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Breaking tab off netural side in recep.

Is it a safe and good practice to break off netural tab in recep. I have to separate circuits in one recep. My newly installed gfi keeps tripping. I am speculating the gfi sences a leak in netural.

Old 07-21-10, 06:09 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Are you saying the single receptacle has two different neutrals associated with different circuits? Give us a step by step breakdown of your wiring.

Old 07-21-10, 06:13 PM
see thread on 7/14/2010

ray look at my thread I posted on 7/14/2010 about gfi keeps tripping.

http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...-tripping.html

Last edited by pcboss; 07-21-10 at 06:31 PM. Reason: added link to other post
Old 07-21-10, 08:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
I see no reason not break off the tab if the neutrals are serving different circuits. In fact, if that is the case, it is required. Neutrals of different circuits should never be connected together unless they are part of a multiwire circuit.

Old 07-21-10, 09:42 PM
R
In what scenario would you run two entirely separate circuits to a duplex receptacle? Why not just feed it with a MWBC and keep the neutral tab intact?

Old 07-21-10, 09:47 PM
F
Originally Posted by romexican View Post
In what scenario would you run two entirely separate circuits to a duplex receptacle? Why not just feed it with a MWBC and keep the neutral tab intact?

That is normal pratice to run the MWBC but a clevat is with current code you have to use legit two pole breaker on this one.

Older home can get very tricky if not carefull with both line and netrual conductors on the switch or receptale box.

Merci.
Marc

Old 07-22-10, 09:32 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by romexican View Post
Maybe when you don't have any 12-3 handy. You also might not want to risk floating voltage of a broken neutral which is a possible side-effect of MWBC. You generally wouldn't want to run MWBC to a computer room because harmonics in the neutral can cause overcurrent.

Old 07-22-10, 11:09 PM
F
Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
Maybe when you don't have any 12-3 handy. You also might not want to risk floating voltage of a broken neutral which is a possible side-effect of MWBC. You generally wouldn't want to run MWBC to a computer room because harmonics in the neutral can cause overcurrent.

Ibpooks .,

The harmonics is not very serious affect on single phase load but on triphase yeah if used common netural but seperated netural not a major issue beside the switchboard that will be a issue if not addressed.

Merci.
Marc

Old 07-24-10, 08:13 AM
neutral tab ....

Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
I see no reason not break off the tab if the neutrals are serving different circuits. In fact, if that is the case, it is required. Neutrals of different circuits should never be connected together unless they are part of a multiwire circuit.
Thanks for the input....i am going to break off neutral tab and this will solve issue of gfi tripping.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: