154 Volts on AC, is this to high?

Old 07-25-10, 10:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
154 Volts on AC, is this to high?

My brother told me that he measured his AC voltage and it was 154 Volts AC, the house is in the country and about 8 years old. I went there yesterday and sure enough, 154 volts on each leg on both incoming at the main 200 amp panel.

Isn't this way to high? I thought 110-125 was about right.

Thanks

Old 07-25-10, 10:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Yeah it is a little high. Were you measuring from hot leg to neutral? What was the measurement across the two hots? If you are still getting this high voltage on the hot to neutral, I'd call the POCO to let them know immediately. It could adversely affect appliances, especially those with motors and compressors.

Old 07-25-10, 11:57 AM
Yes I was going Hot to neutral, I didnt think to measure both hots.

I assume POCO means the local utility company.

Old 07-25-10, 11:59 AM
F
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 67lplc View Post
Yes I was going Hot to neutral, I didnt think to measure both hots.

I assume POCO means the local utility company.
Yes POCO is internet slang for Power company.

Old 07-25-10, 12:43 PM
My brother told me that he measured his AC voltage and it was 154 Volts AC

I went there yesterday and sure enough, 154 volts on each leg on both incoming at the main 200 amp panel.
Did you use the same multimeter that your brother did, to measure this? That's certainly high. If you don't have a second meter, try changing the battery in the one. (Never known it to affect VAC but who knows.)

And are you sure both legs read the same exact high reading?

I would second the suggestion to get an L1-L2 (hot-hot) reading. If it's in the 300V range, I hate to agree with Chandler here ( long story ), but definitely call the power company. I personally would also unplug all my voltage sensitive devices, but I suppose all his worked for this long.

Edit: Guys, why does 154 sound familiar? Erroneously upping 120 by a RMS correction yields.. nevermind, 169 is too high. Must have been something else. (Edit2: 110 -> 155, thats pretty close, and still I'm grasping at straws)

Old 07-25-10, 12:59 PM
One leg was 155 the other was 154.5, so I'd say the same.
I will measure my house here to see if my meter is correct though.

Old 07-25-10, 01:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Core...why are you too ready to send 67lpcl to the POCO but are afraid to go yourself

Old 07-25-10, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Core...why are you too ready to send 67lpcl to the POCO but are afraid to go yourself
Don't beat your head against the wall, Chandler, he's got data that says to me something is wrong. Nobody offered concrete data in my other thread that said anything systemic was wrong, even after I spent the better part of a night trying to find a problem.

(I still question the meter readings on this one, though.)

And hey, I didn't send him straight away to the POCO anyway. If I went over there and saw 154V with my own eyes I would call them, because I'd have something to show. Not faimilar with rural areas though... my grandmother tells stories of low voltage destroying compressors, so I guess the OP's subject might consider himself lucky?

Rough room! LOL

Sources: Lest anyone apply a date to my comment, my grandmother is deceased and I keep her in a wheelchair in the attic by the window, but she still tells stores about the Rural Electric Corporation and low voltage. I consider it a reputable source. (She called the POCO, chandler -- look where it got her)

Last edited by core; 07-25-10 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-25-10, 02:57 PM
Received 114 Votes on 101 Posts
My brother told me that he measured his AC voltage and it was 154 Volts AC, the house is in the country and about 8 years old. I went there yesterday and sure enough, 154 volts on each leg on both incoming at the main 200 amp panel.

Isn't this way to high? I thought 110-125 was about right.

Thanks
The only time I have seen this was (many years ago) 2 days after an electrical storm and the only symptom was the kitchen clock making a growling noise. The voltage was 144, line to neutral. The POCO had a crew changing the transformer within the hour. The next door neighbor lost both a refrigerator and a dishwasher from the higher voltage.

Old 07-25-10, 11:20 PM
F
That one thing I always carry two diffrent voltmeter to verify the voltage to make sure it is correct number and what you mention 154-155 volts from line to netual on both legs then you have either bad transfomer or bad netrual connection it can get really funky.

That part you have to call the POCO ASAP don't wait next day just call them they will comeout and deal with it.

And did you read the line to line voltage it should be about 240 to 250 volt range once you get over 250 volts you have major issue like example you say 155 volts that mean 310 volts that is super serious voltage level there.

Merci.
Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: