Basement wiring question

Old 07-26-10, 04:20 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement wiring question

Hello folks. Didn't the Governor of Ohio pass an electrical code requiring ACFI's a few years back? What rooms are those required for? My brother is finishing a basement, wants my help, but I want to make sure that it is done according to Ohio code. I also assume that the outlets are just left at normal height since it's just another livable space in the house. Thanks,I've never messed with basements before and am not sure if things are different down there. Thanks.

Old 07-26-10, 06:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
If Ohio has adopted the 2008 NEC AFCI protection would be required for the basement receptacle and lighting circuits.

Old 07-26-10, 07:49 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
As I look at the breakers in the box, only the bedrooms and bonus room have that AFCI protection, the rest of the house just has the normal 15/20 amp circuits. The house was built in 2008, so I'm not sure what the basement would qualify for. Any Ohio people have any insight into this?

Old 07-26-10, 08:13 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Ohio had a temporary exemption of AFCI and other 2008 code requirements which I believe expired some time in 2009. It is likely your house was permitted either before the 2008 code came out or during the exemption period. Any new work should comply with NEC 2008 or local code if you have one.

It is strange that your home's bedrooms would not be AFCI though -- that requirement has been in since 2002 code. Perhaps your city or county has a local code which overrides the state?

If you are on 2008 code all living spaces (finished rooms) require AFCI breakers; prior versions only require AFCI breakers for circuits which serve receptacles, lighting and smokes in bedrooms. Any rooms in the basement that remain unfinished must have GFCI receptacles.

The receptacle height can be of your choosing -- 12" - 16" is typical for living areas. Any new receptacles you install should be TR (tamper-resistant).

Last edited by ibpooks; 07-26-10 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-26-10, 09:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
When Ohio was on the 2005 code only bedroom lights and receptacles were required to be ACFI.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: