Corrosion inhibitor necessary?

Old 07-27-10, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Corrosion inhibitor necessary?

Seems to me I was told that it is necessary to apply a substance called "Noalax" (sp?) whenever you were to have aluminum to copper contact. Is that still the case? Is it dangerous to pigtail copper onto aluminum without any inhibitor in a 15- or 20-amp outlet?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-10, 02:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Only if the manufacture requires it. Also, ensure each part is rated for Al and Cu.

Old 07-27-10, 06:12 PM
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by sailor86 View Post
Seems to me I was told that it is necessary to apply a substance called "Noalax" (sp?) whenever you were to have aluminum to copper contact. Is that still the case? Is it dangerous to pigtail copper onto aluminum without any inhibitor in a 15- or 20-amp outlet?
I can't think of a single situation where aluminum and copper wire should be or would be allowed to be in direct contact unless it is with a listed connector such as the Ideal purple Twister connectors that are UL listed for connecting aluminum to copper wire.

Old 07-27-10, 06:59 PM
It is called " NoAlOx" which stands for NO ALUMINUM OXIDATION, but using that does not for example allow you to connect aluminum to a device which says "copper only"

Old 07-27-10, 08:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by CasualJoe View Post
I can't think of a single situation where aluminum and copper wire should be or would be allowed to be in direct contact unless it is with a listed connector such as the Ideal purple Twister connectors that are UL listed for connecting aluminum to copper wire.
One of the most common places where you have this type of connection is in electrical panels. Almost all of the neutral/ground lugs and the lugs on the main breaker/main lugs are aluminum and you connect copper wire to them. No paste required if using copper. These are also listed CU/AL.

Old 07-27-10, 09:49 PM
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
But.....aluminum lugs and neutral bars marker CU/AL are tin plated. If this were not the case, copper and brass lugs would accept aluminum wire, but they are marked CU only unless they are tin plated.

Old 07-28-10, 09:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I always put no-ox grease on aluminum connections, however you should never have a direct aluminum to copper splice without an approved connector in between.