AAA battery leakage in small hand held device

Old 07-28-10, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AAA battery leakage in small hand held device

I'm having trouble getting a small hand held device to work with new batteries due to deposits & leakage from old AAA batteries left in too long. Tried scraping with a needle. Any products I can brush on that can remove these deposits and make the connection again? It's kind of small and delicate wiring I don't want to fiddle with it too much for fear of ruining it altogether. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-10, 09:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Anything with a small abrasive will work to clean up the contacts. I have had luck with a disposable nail file (emory board) cut into a point and metal dental picks. Perhaps a little bit of steel wool on a toothpick or something like that will do it too.

Old 07-28-10, 10:30 AM
I was thinking more in terms of a brush on product to remove the deposit at the battery connection terminal rather the scratching the post. The wires are very thin and difficult to get at with even the thinnest file. I'd have to use a very thin brush dipped in the stuff but I don't know any products that do this hoped someone does

Old 07-28-10, 03:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Use baking soda and water as a paste and daub it on with a q-tip. The battery residue is acid, and the baking soda is a neutral and will eat it up, foaming as you go. Wipe the area down with a clean wet q-tip when it comes clean.

Old 07-28-10, 04:02 PM
Wipe the area down with a clean wet q-tip when it comes clean.[/QUOTE]

Two questions:

Clean wet q-tip, dipped in water?

What about the product they use on rusted car body parts, do you think that will work?

Old 07-28-10, 05:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Why are you asking for a simple solution and get one, but prefer to go buy an expensive rust inhibitor? Mix up the baking soda and water into a paste, wipe it on the area with one q-tip. With a second q-tip, dip it in water to cleanse the area. Dry it off. It will be clean, possibly andonized a little, but it will carry current.

Last edited by chandler; 07-28-10 at 07:24 PM. Reason: baking soda, not powder, duh.
Old 07-28-10, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
And the rust buster type stuff will be non-conductive anyway.