Location of Junction boxes?

Old 07-29-10, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Location of Junction boxes- built in oven/cooktop?

Hello,
I'm doing a gut reno on my kitchen and I am having trouble figuring out where to put the junction boxes for a 30" built in oven installed under a 30" smoothtop cooktop. At this point in time, there are only studs- no kitchen cabs, no drywall.

The info:
Cooktop- Jenn air JEC0530ADS, installation manual here: www dot tinyurl dot com /2afxave

Oven- Jenn air jjw8330dds, installation manual here: www dot tinyurl dot com /29yokxq

The cooktop manual does not say anything about junction box location, however the oven manual says they recommend the boxes be located in the cabinets on either side. I called a local installer, and they say to locate the boxes IN the oven cabinet. But where? Won't there only be about 1.5" of space to do this in?

I am not sure what to do here. I definitely do not want to install actual boxes in the back of the cabinets, so I will be recessing the boxes into the wall before I close up and then making cutouts in the back of the cabinets so I can run the flex conduit right into the cover- I figure this will give me a bit more room, and I will have the comfort of knowing those junction boxes are secure... Has anyone had experience with this? Am I making this more complicated than it has to be? Is there some simple way to figure this out that I am just not seeing?

Thanks, all!

Last edited by hamlet; 07-29-10 at 10:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-10, 10:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome Hamlet!

There should be plenty of room to put the jbox in the wall behind the oven. Are you running this circuit or are you hiring it out?

Old 07-29-10, 10:26 AM
Thanks, HotinOKC

The circuit has already been connected and the wire run (I don't do any work in the breaker box- I hire that out, but I do run all the wire, connect all receptacles, switches, etc. myself), so now it is only a matter of deciding where I need the boxes. I want to get them in the wall this weekend so I can pass inspection on Monday and get my drywall up.

Where do you think the best place would be for these? My best guess was measuring down from where the top of the counter would be, and putting the boxes just after the minimum clearance for the cooktop...

Thoughts?

Old 07-31-10, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
Thanks, HotinOKC

The circuit has already been connected and the wire run (I don't do any work in the breaker box- I hire that out, but I do run all the wire, connect all receptacles, switches, etc. myself), so now it is only a matter of deciding where I need the boxes. I want to get them in the wall this weekend so I can pass inspection on Monday and get my drywall up.

Where do you think the best place would be for these? My best guess was measuring down from where the top of the counter would be, and putting the boxes just after the minimum clearance for the cooktop...

Thoughts?
Well this is right in the directions:
"If you are installing the junction box on rear wall
behind oven, the junction box must be recessed and located
in the upper or lower right or left corner of the cabinet;
otherwise, the oven will not fit into the cabinet opening."

So you definitely want a recessed box. My suggestion would be to attach about a 4-5' piece of flex to the wiring point on the back of the stove. Then curl it up so it's lying flat against the back of the stove, and see which corner of the stove the loose end is at. Put the box behind that corner.

This is so that you have plenty of length to be able to pull the stove away from the wall. But when you push the stove in, the flex should coil up neatly and lie more or less flat against the wall. It'll be installed "right" as long as it's wired directly to the jbox... but you also want it to be easy to install.

Old 08-02-10, 07:45 AM
Thanks mukansa,
I saw that in the directions - I just don't know if putting the boxes in the upper right or left corners will work if there is a cooktop directly above the oven. The instructions "recommend" putting the boxes in the adjacent cabinets if you are installing a cooktop above the oven.

Both cooktop and oven have a 3' flex conduit around the wires already, so I am thinking I will recess the boxes in the adjacent cabs and then use a 90 degree compression connector so I can keep the conduit flat against the back of the cabs. That way no interferance with drawers, etc.

Thanks again!