Upgrading a dryer receptacle

Old 12-07-00, 05:41 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Need a dryer receptacle upgraded from 110V to 220V. The circuit breaker box is located in my livingroom quite a distance from the kitchen. A electrician advised that a junction box could be installed for the dryer receptacle feeding from my hot water heater which is about 2 ft away. The hot water heater is 140V-280V capable. Can this be done safely by a qualified electrician? Should this be done? Any advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-00, 10:44 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Both an electric dryer and an electric water heater have a heavy demand on its own circuit and no other loads should be included on these circuits.

You really should run a 10/3 romex [black,white,red,bare] direct from the panel to the elecric dryer's area and install a four prong dryer plug. Put this circuit on a 30 amp breaker dedicated for that dryer.

I absolutely would not try to run a water heater and an electric dryer on the same circuit.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 12-09-00, 12:48 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Upgrading a dryer receptacle

Thanks for that advice. Im certainly going to ask questions about this procedure before I allow any electrician do the work.

Old 12-09-00, 03:07 PM
Marshall Buttrey
Visiting Guest
Believe goodrich. They must be on different circuits, including circuir breakers. You may not have a fire, but you will be really bothered by the CB's tripping.

Old 12-10-00, 06:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Don't even think about adding on to the existing hot water circuit for a new dryer. This will at least blow the breakers when the dryer comes on or may start a fire if the breakers don't catch the major power overload in time. The existing 110v line can't be upgraded in any way to make a 220v dryer work either. The only solution is running a new wire and install the appropriate breakers for it.