wiring

Old 12-08-00, 08:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I recently bought outdoor housenumbers which light up at night. There are two wires which come out of the numbers(one has writing on the insulation while the other has no writing on the insulation) and these need to be connected to two other wires(one has black insulation and the other has white and black insulation) which end with a transformer plug. The instructions do not specify which of the two wires need to be connected to the other two wires. This is a low voltage appliance. Please advise on how to connect the wires and does it matter which two wires are connected(hot and neutral) Thanks.

Old 12-08-00, 08:35 AM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
My guess, is that either the lights are incandescent,
where polarity doesn't matter. What does the lable on the
wall transformer say? If it says AC output, it doesn't matter. Otherewise, I'd try it one way (for a short time), and if it doesn't work, I'd try it the other way.

Old 12-09-00, 12:09 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wires are usually marked in some fashion. While it may not matter which wire goes to which, it is a good idea to always match polarity. One of the wires coming out of the fixture should be ribbed, this is the neutral and goes to white.
Brian

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: