New Service

Old 12-08-00, 10:39 PM
wallyk
Visiting Guest
Smile

I will be building a new home & would like to know if an untrained person can wire their own home. What r your thoughts? Are their step-by-step instructions somewhere?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-00, 12:00 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

wally,
I'm not an electrician, but that is about the LAST thing that an "untrained person" should even contemplate.
First, you have to have a permit, which I doubt that you would be able to get, and all must eventually pass stringent inspections.
There are local and national electrical codes that must be met, and those are constantly changing.
Do yourself a MAJOR favor and hire a pro electrical contractor. Period.
If you want to D-I-Y some of the work on your new home, believe me, there are plenty of other things that you can do to accomplish that. Electrical definitely aint one of 'em.
I am an experienced, but absolutely non-pro, D-I-Yer from way back, and I had all of my plumbing and electrical roughed-in when I built my present home in 1977-78, and did the finish work myself(amazingly,it all passed... LOL), and I know my limitations (many).
I don't even know if they would allow me to do that now.
In any case, look for things like insulation, drywall, painting, etc. that you CAN do safely, and leave the technical electrical stuff to the pros.
Your fire department will thank you, your insurance company will thank you, your family will thank you, etc.
Good Luck!

Old 12-09-00, 03:13 AM
Can an untrained person do this? Absolutely not.

But with a little effort, you can be a trained person. If you're a motivated, intelligent, and technically inclined person, you can even train yourself. But it will take time and a lot of books. I also find it very helpful to visit construction sites and examine the work of pros. This can help supplement your book learning. You should also spend a few days or weeks at Home Depot and study all the parts available in the electrical aisle. I'd recommend you allow yourself about a year of study before attempting this project.

Good luck.

Old 12-09-00, 03:38 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
If you have Office 97 or office 2000 on you computer, and if you will email me, I will be glad to send you an email with an attachment file that contains a chapter in one of the books that I wrote that should give you a good shot to let you know how to wire your new home and after reading all involved then you can decide whether you want to take the project of wiring that new home yourself. The attachement is in the form of a self help pass out used by new home owners.

This would give you the best shot as to whether you want to take on the job and a good shot how to do it yourself.

Before you proceed, you need to call Code Enforcement in your area and confirm you don't need an electrical license to wire your own home, and after reading the pass out call you Electrical Inspector again to confirm any local Ordinances that require more than the NEC requires. Then you should take your house prints and draw details as to where all wiring is required and wanted, so that you have a fixed wiring plan. Then you should make a total detailed material list as to the material cost and consider the tools required, then consider the time restraints required. Remember you construction loan during construction is like a time clock You lending institutin may refuse to approve your loan if it a doityourself project. The construction loan also has a timer built in and the interest keeps building up in cost as your length of construction keeps extending thus increasing your cost if you cause delay in construction in trying to doityourself.

Once you have read all the info on requirements, completed a wiring print showing detail of your electrical to be installed in the home, a you have come up with a cost factor for doingityourself, then remember that electrical contractors want that job. Therefore you should be able to take your wiring plans to local electricians and have them bid the project for you setting their total charge to do the wiring for you. Be sure to have all comparative bids to be bid apples for apples for comparison. Remember these contractors should be providing their electrical bids at no cost to you. Now have at least two or three elctrical contractors provide you with fixed bids to do the job for you and compare the lowest cost bid to your estimated cost for doingityourself.

Commonly the electrical contractors can by the material 40 to 60% cheaper than you due to quantity purchasing done in their company. A lot of the time these electrical contractors bids to do the job for you will be comparative to your doityourself cost due to their wholesale buying ability.

Even if you can find a contractor that can get the job done at a lower cost than you can do, the pass out I wrote should be of benefit to you if nothing else by knowing what the contractor is doing before he does it. By reading the pass out at least you will have an idea what is required and what if supposed to be going on during construction.

[email protected]

Good luck

Wg

Old 12-09-00, 06:44 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
I may have to back off the offer of send the email of that pass out, WIRING A DWELLING. John Nelson requested it and I received a return of email failure after it being sent to John. I will come back on once I find out what John successfully received.

John Nelson please let me know if you received any of the email on this subject.

Sorry

Wg

Old 12-09-00, 10:33 AM
wallyk
Visiting Guest
Email

WGoodrich, my email is [email protected]

Old 12-09-00, 11:32 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Wallyk

John successfully got the pass out so I am trying to email it to you. Warning it is big for an email. I sent it in several parts, and you will have to piece it back together. So when you start receiving it you must follow the next set of directions.

GO TAKE YOUR FAMILY OUT TO LUNCH AND TAKE YOUR TIME!

HA HA.

seriously it will take quite a while to receive all the emails involved so to try and be patient.

Hope it helps you make informed decisions concerning your new home

Good Luck

Wg

Wg

Old 12-09-00, 11:42 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Guys Sorry for the behind the scene activities in sending info by a several part email direct to the posted source, but the info needed for him to make an informed decision on his question was with pictures plus 25 pages of text.

Maybe some day we can have an area where we can have preprinted passouts available in a section of this forum so that we could direct you straight to you answers as you need, with pictures involved.

This detailed effort to get wallyk his info should show those interested in wiring their own complete new home that that project is nothing that you can just jump into. It takes quite a bit of study grabbing all the info you can to have a chance to wire a new home by yourself cold turkey.

Thanks for your patience

Wg

Old 12-09-00, 03:12 PM
Marshall Buttrey
Visiting Guest
Pleae forget doing it yourself. You are asking for a lot of HEAD ACHES. The money you save is not near worth the pain. (It will probably cost you more)

Old 12-09-00, 03:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down I wouldnt!

Hey i think its a really bad idea unless you have someone showing you the way through the whole process. Ive been an electrician for a year and a half and i still dont know all the must haves and proper equipment needed to install a new service. Not to mention that you will need to get a permit and abide by all NEC and local city codes. If you have someone showing you the way i wish you much luck:-)

Old 12-09-00, 05:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Question why is wiring a new house so different from diy projects in an old house?

The posts above have intrigued me - why is wiring a new house so different from a do-it-yourself project in an already built house. For instance, I am contemplating splitting one circuit (which now has my furnace and outlets on it) into two circuits (one 15 amp for the furnace and one 20 amp for the outlets). I'm using a step-by-step wiring guide and posting questions here. Should I not be doing this? Wouldn't wiring a new house amount to the same thing? Or are there concerns with calulating loads, wire lenght etc...?

Old 12-10-00, 03:12 AM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
Old wiring, to some extent, can be grandfathered into
the code, but you cannot practice those old wiring tecniques
in new wiring. Also ,when wiring a new house, you do
most of the work on paper first, to get approval.
with old wiring, it's more get in there and do it.

Old 12-10-00, 03:16 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile theres not much differance

im not sure why and what your wanting to do with the circuit! im not sure what you mean when you say you want to split the circuit.Please elaborate.

Old 12-10-00, 06:14 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
In order to answer your question it would take a lot of Code requirements involved in wiring a complete house from start to finish with 30 to 80 circuits in that house. Each circuit requiring a whole new set of codes.

Your project just pertained to one or two circuits.

In order to answer your questions in this forum we could start a 10 reply or more string of replies all saying a different opinion. This could cause you confusion in your mind because you must make the decision which reply is right concerning the minimum safety standards.

If you were doing a new house everything in that house is up for question as to whether it would meet the minimum safety standards. The number of replies that would show up on a whole house would most likely overload the system of the DIY forum because their would be so many different interpretations of the NEC and local laws required.

I just sent the one who posted the question of wiring a new dwellng a pass out. This pass out is with a few small pictures to help visualize a certain subject and including those half page pictures the size of that pass out was 25 pages long. That didn't even approach the minimum safety standards and wiring designs of any detached structures on the project or any of the wiring a service requirements, or the damand load calculation requirement or any other subjects that should be approached involving a complete residential design.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 12-10-00, 11:38 AM
Marshall Buttrey
Visiting Guest
davelila;

Spliting the furnace from the other outlets is a good idea. CB ratings need to be checked. Make sure the furnace calls for 15 amp. Outlets are normally 15 or 20, and the size wire is specified be the CB rating. Check with a local Home Depot or simular outlet. They should be able to advise on local codes. CB rating also determines if you can use the fast push in outlets, or if you need to wrap the wire around the screw. The outlets will have the method printed on them.

Good Luck

Old 12-10-00, 12:04 PM
Jeepers. I absolutely love Home Depot and have spent tens of thousands of dollars there. But there is no way I would get my code information from them. My guess is that most of their employees would decline to give code advice, and even if they did I wouldn't trust it.

Read books, ask questions here, make a plan, and then get your code information from your local building department. Most of all, get a permit so one of those local building inspectors will come out and make sure you've understood everything correctly.