Switch goes load side on GFCI circuit?

Old 08-24-10, 07:40 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Switch goes load side on GFCI circuit?

Confirming this before I spend an afternoon in the attic - wiring a new shower fan unit on a dedicated circuit with a GFCI (per code since it's in the shower stall). Should the order of items be:

panel --> GFCI --> switch --> fan unit

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-10, 07:51 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
That is one of the correct ways to do it. You may also use a GFCI breaker to avoid having to place a blank face GFCI somewhere accessible.

Old 08-24-10, 08:02 AM
M
I'd thought about that, but the breaker panel is behind a mirror in a side bedroom at the other end of the floor... etc etc. In the event that the circuit does trip, I want folks to be able to reset without a major time investment.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Old 08-24-10, 03:31 PM
Confirming this before I spend an afternoon in the attic - wiring a new shower fan unit on a dedicated circuit with a GFCI (per code since it's in the shower stall). Should the order of items be:

The fan doesnt need to be GFCI protected and if you put all this on the same circuit the GFCI is not dedicated.. Dedicated would be just the GFI alone on its own circuit. It really should be just the GFI then pull power elsewhere for the fan pending on your codes anyway.

Old 08-24-10, 06:31 PM
Received 67 Votes on 58 Posts
The fan doesnt need to be GFCI protected
The OP said the fan was going "in the shower stall." If I am not mistaken, this installation IS required to be GFCI protected just like a shower light would be. That is one good reason, in my opinion, to put the fan over the toilet or just near the shower stall and not directly over it or in it.

Old 09-01-10, 08:16 PM
The fan should be over the toilet i agree and the light should be water/moister tight fixture. Was this for a single bathroom circuit or for a dual bath circuit? If for a dual or more you can not share power with lighting it must be dedicated. If its a single bathroom circuit you can share it with the lighting circuit.

Last edited by SilverTattoo; 09-01-10 at 09:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-02-10, 08:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 59 Posts
Silver, If the fan is over the footprint of the tub or shower the instructions call for GFI protection.

This sounds like this circuit is in addition to any that are already installed so debating about being shared amongst other bathrooms is irrelevent.

To the OP, you can purchase a dead front GFI with a switch for your purpose.

Old 09-02-10, 11:01 AM
R
Originally Posted by mooch25 View Post

Thanks!
To anwser your question: Yes!

I have mine wired the same way your doing yours but I have a fan/light combo in my shower so I have a switch for the light and one for the shower. That's code.

Jim