Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

I am trying to add another fixture in a basement can I use BX?

Old 08-30-10, 03:25 AM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a dead basement fixture that i need to repair. i opened it and tested the wires and they are dead. I of course checked all the breakers and they are on. I am planning transfer power from an existing working fixture about 10 feet away which is being fed with conduit. can I use BX cable to run along the exterior of the ceiling and mount it to bring power from the existing one being fed with conduit? or do i need to run new conduit fed with wire to feed the new circuit (fixture) from the existing working fixture?

Old 08-30-10, 04:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Use AC (BX is old stuff), if your building code allows its use over conduit. Is it a commercial building or residence?

Old 08-30-10, 07:55 AM
A
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by remodelingstuff View Post
can I use BX cable to run along the exterior of the ceiling and mount it to bring power from the existing one being fed with conduit? or do i need to run new conduit fed with wire to feed the new circuit (fixture) from the existing working fixture?
Depends on the jurisdiction. Your profile says "USA" and this is probably OK in some places but prohibited by local code in other places. For example, Chicago and 'burbs seem to require conduit everywhere. Where I live exposed romex and BX were prohibited until about a year ago.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: