220 not working in my house

Old 08-31-10, 05:13 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
220 not working in my house

Nothing in my house that has 220 as its power supply is working (A/C; pump for priviate well; stove/oven). Everything with 110 is working fine. This all started when all of my power went off. I checked the main breaker and it was still on. I turned it off and back on. All 110 lit up but not the 220. No other breakers are tripped.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-10, 05:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 83 Votes on 71 Posts
You need to see if you have 120 on both the incoming legs from the power company. If you don't the power company should be called. If you do the problem is in your panel and an electrician should be called to troubleshoot.

If you decide to test this yourself be advised that there are hot items all the time in the panel that cannot be shut off with the meter still in place. DO NOT pull the meter.

Old 08-31-10, 06:28 AM
R
This all started when all of my power went off. I checked the main breaker and it was still on. I turned it off and back on. All 110 lit up but not the 220.
This makes me think the main breaker tripped since flipping it off and back on brought up 110v power. Given the info you posted, I think itís indeterminable whether this is an inside or POCO problem. Usually, a POCO problem doesnít trip the customerís breaker but can in certain cases. Did you experience a lightning storm last night? Most electricians I know donít wire a home at main panel so that all 110v circuits only feed from one side of a bus although occasionally have come across it. This prevents the entire home from going dark and having no operable 110v circuits should POCO lose a 110v feed to the house. A closer check of all 110v circuits may identify some not working at proper voltage. If that were the case, I would hazard a guess that this is a POCO problem.

If you have no volt or muti-meter to take voltage readings at your main breaker or uncomfortable working around electricity, I suggest you call POCO so that a trouble man can verify whether you have 220v power to your meter can, and he may be willing to check your main breaker although not required to so as this is considered customer owned equipment (and a few electricians will report them for doing inside work which makes them skittish about going beyond their area of responsibility; so donít get angry w/ him if refusing to check your breaker).

Out of an abundance of caution, if this was happening to my home, I would flip off the breakers at main directly feeding 220v equipment or sub-panels if 220v equipment was not working. By flipping the main breaker on, you could be feeding a fault somewhere in your home that currently has cleared itself, but could re-energize either causing the main breaker to trip again or, worst case, damaging equipment or possibly causing a fire. It doesnít mean the fault is necessarily w/ your 220v equipment, but there is no advantage that I can see for leaving the breakers on if 220v equipment is not working. I would move expeditiously to identify the cause of problem, and correct it quickly.

Old 08-31-10, 06:29 AM
T
Alright I just had the power company come out and 240 is coming into the house. The power company guy said that he thinks its the main breaker because the cover that rests against the main breaker is a little black. What do you think? I appreciate the help.

Old 08-31-10, 06:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Since you have incoming 240 volt power, the next step in the chain is your main breaker. Now it is time to either have the main breaker or panel replaced.

Old 08-31-10, 10:17 AM
T
Its the main breaker. My house is 15 years old and the supply house is saying they don't make them anymore. The part# says QFP2T 200 AMP. Any ideas on where I might find one?

Old 08-31-10, 11:03 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Using a multimeter or solenoid tester have you checked across the bus bars for 240v? Do so carefully. Do first with no 240v appliances on then test with at least one 240v appliance on.

Old 08-31-10, 03:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the breaker is obsolete you have two options, replace the panel or try to locate one from a company that specializes in obsolete breakers.

Google obsolete breaker suppliers.

Old 08-31-10, 06:18 PM
Received 83 Votes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by tomlandry View Post
Its the main breaker. My house is 15 years old and the supply house is saying they don't make them anymore. The part# says QFP2T 200 AMP. Any ideas on where I might find one?
Who is manufacturer of the panel?

Old 08-31-10, 06:24 PM
Received 83 Votes on 73 Posts
Is this it? It could be under either the Zinsco or Challenger label.

Zinsco QFP2002 - Bay Breakers Online

If so, I'd recommend replacing the panel. I wouldn't put a nickel into a Zinsco panel.

Old 09-01-10, 09:57 PM
Old 09-03-10, 05:52 AM
T
Thanks for all of the feedback. The main breaker (challenger) is obsolete. I found one nearby and one online at a cost of $200. The guy nearby told me "this aint Home Depot so we don't do returns". It made no sense to just change the breaker since there could be other problems in the panel. I spent about $300 on a Cutler Hamner panel (it came with some breakers and I had to buy additional). Everything is working fine now.

Old 09-03-10, 06:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for the feedback and glad your problem is resolved.

Old 09-03-10, 08:46 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
It's a good day with one less Zinsco panel in the world. Glad it worked out.