Old 60 amp meter removal (to disconnect power)

Old 09-03-10, 08:00 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old 60 amp meter removal (to disconnect power)

I have an ancient 60 amp service, complete with fuses - main and range spit and an ancient meter tagged 'installed 1954'. I want to replace the fuse set up with a new service entrance load center and I need to remove the power to the service equipment. The meter seems to be 'hard wired' - does not unplug like any meter I've removed before for this purpose. I usually just cut the seal and unplug the meter and that removes the power from the meter into the house so the service equipment can be worked onor replaced. This meter does not appear to unplug. It it completely enclosed in a weather proof box and the meter is only visable through a small window in the box. Removing the seal and the box cover exposes the meter and two horizontal rows of four wire terminals each along the bottom of the meter. The lowest row of 4 terminals has the two service entrance wires from the pole on the left two lugs and two wires continuing into the house on the other right two lugs. Then the shields and external ground are fastened together on a ground lug below the rows of terminals. The upper row of four terminals, immediately above the lower row seems to have nothing connected to it. Is it possible to 'unplug' or otherwise disconnect this meter so as to disconnect the power going into the house to the existing service panel? An electrician told me that these old meters can be disconnected (not unplugged) by turning some screws on the 'hot terminals' to remove power. I'm just not real happy about turning screws on hot terminals - especially when I'm not sure which terminals. I've worked onhot circuits before with insulated tools and gloves - just not familiar with this one. Any ideas on how to 'disconnect' or 'unplug' these old meters?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-10, 08:14 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by cal_o View Post
I have an ancient 60 amp service, complete with fuses - main and range spit and an ancient meter tagged 'installed 1954'. I want to replace the fuse set up with a new service entrance load center and I need to remove the power to the service equipment. The meter seems to be 'hard wired' - does not unplug like any meter I've removed before for this purpose. I usually just cut the seal and unplug the meter and that removes the power from the meter into the house so the service equipment can be worked onor replaced. This meter does not appear to unplug. It it completely enclosed in a weather proof box and the meter is only visable through a small window in the box. Removing the seal and the box cover exposes the meter and two horizontal rows of four wire terminals each along the bottom of the meter. The lowest row of 4 terminals has the two service entrance wires from the pole on the left two lugs and two wires continuing into the house on the other right two lugs. Then the shields and external ground are fastened together on a ground lug below the rows of terminals. The upper row of four terminals, immediately above the lower row seems to have nothing connected to it. Is it possible to 'unplug' or otherwise disconnect this meter so as to disconnect the power going into the house to the existing service panel? An electrician told me that these old meters can be disconnected (not unplugged) by turning some screws on the 'hot terminals' to remove power. I'm just not real happy about turning screws on hot terminals - especially when I'm not sure which terminals. I've worked onhot circuits before with insulated tools and gloves - just not familiar with this one. Any ideas on how to 'disconnect' or 'unplug' these old meters?
I would just call the poco. They'll probably want to replace it with a new meter anyway. You just cut seals? They go batsh!t around here if you cut open a can without them on site.

Old 09-03-10, 09:01 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
Since you will need to replace the mast, weatherhead and install new service conductors along with a new meter base the easiest method is to install the new equipment alongside the the existing, transfer the existing circuits to the new panel and backfeed a branch circuit breaker (two-pole obviously) from the 60 ampere range fuses in the old panel. Once the inspector is satisfied with the new work the utility will do the work to transfer the service drop (or replace the existing drop) to the new system and you then remove the backfed circuit breaker and close up the new panel.

Old 09-03-10, 10:06 PM
F
I know what you are talking about the old A base meter socket and they are very tricky to deal with it and the safest way is have POCO cut off at the bug location { drip loop connection } or cut off near at transfomer if the service drop conductors are pretty much done for it.

I will NOT advise you mess around with A base meter due it is unfused !!!!

I done this quite few time and I will not advise how to do it due too many things can go wrong { I have one blow up on me before }

You will have no choice but get new meter socket new riser new conduit etc to order meet the current codes and yeah new ground rods ( 2 ) as well

Furd and JerseyMatt both are right on this one.

You can install the new load centre and backfeed a 60 amp breaker { anything over 60 is listed to backfeed without issue } But do not hook up the new main breaker conductors until it passed the inspection for power up.

Normally what you will do is run the new box but do not hook up anything unless the inspector require something { check with them to see what they need to order pass the inspectons }

And with service changeovers I done all the time the average power outage will be useally 4 hours but just prepared in case much longer in case you miss the deadline for inspector and POCO to rehook up so plan that ahead of the time.

If you will be off the power longer than that you can rent or use someone generator or run a extendison cord to next door house { ask them first before you do anything }

Merci.
Marc