Ground facing Up or Down

Old 09-07-10, 03:11 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ground facing Up or Down

Not sure if region applies, but I've noticed in alot of commercial installs *if not the buildout of our new off*, receptacles are installed with the ground facing up.

I know the pros/cons of it.

Just curious.
For residential or commerical, do you always install the receptacles with the ground facing up ?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-10, 03:24 PM
Its not code its preference unless its speced on the prints. I usually go grounds up but thats my preference.

Old 09-07-10, 03:24 PM
Received 48 Votes on 39 Posts
Many times the ground is installed up in commercial work and down in residential work, but either is acceptable by NEC for both kinds of work.

Old 09-07-10, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It makes no diff...there are numerous reasons why some people do it one way or the other..none of them required by code...except maybe in hospitals I believe?

Old 09-07-10, 03:31 PM
hospitals are usually speced for grounds up and so are many clinicns and other medical buildings but I dont think its NEC required. I have never read it in the code book

Old 09-07-10, 03:35 PM
N
Someone once told me that the reason ground prong is on the top, is so that if the plug is hanging out of the receptacle, and something were to fall on it, with the ground up, that something would be deflected. With the ground prong down that something could calls a short or fire.

Old 09-07-10, 03:39 PM
Thats exactly why I go ground up and I still cant believe NEC has not adopted that into code..

Old 09-07-10, 03:41 PM
B
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
I've always preferred up and have had occasion with my kids to find objects that have fallen along the walls and ended up resting on a partially exposed ground.

In dealing with a lot of computer equipment and needing to use extension cords from behind tight spots, the right angle cords are preferred, but sometimes the fit works with ground up and sometimes with ground down. So there are specific applications where one works better than the other.

Bud

Old 09-07-10, 03:47 PM
Bud,,

I agree with you but, which one makes better since and is safer? The ground up is obvious. With ground down say a paper clip falls in there its a dead short or worse.

Old 09-07-10, 07:23 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
It seems to me that the code making panels are moving toward a universal requirement of AFCI and/or GFCI making the ground position somewhat irrelevant in terms of safety.

Without any specific data about methods of shock I think it's wildly speculative to assume either is safer.